Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Emulation Station Themes Simple-Dark theme

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    nolageek
    Participant

I’m working on a dark version of Simple – and the last thing I want to change is the color of the “OPTIONS MENU BACK” etc.. in the footer. I don’t see what there is to edit to change these, although I see other people have changed them. Any suggestions?

simple dark

proxycell
    Participant

I believe that is the “helpsystem”
    Please have a look at this documentation – https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/blob/master/THEMES.md

Are you going to use new “screenshot” images for the system browser?
    Please consider adding in an Atary Lynx theme, this has been added to the system now

nolageek
    Participant

I had tried the “helpsystem” and it didn’t make any difference, but their documentation didn’t really help me much. There’s a lot there, but it assumes I already understand how it all works together, which I don’t. :)

In my simple.xml I made this change:

<view name="system">

<image name="background" extra="true">
    			<path>./art/a2600_art_blur.jpg</path>
    		</image>

<image name="logo">
    			<path>./art/a2600.svg</path>
            </image>

/// ADDED THIS //////////////////////////////////////////////
    		<helpsystem name="help">
    			<textColor>ffffff88</textColor>
    			<iconColor>ffffff88</iconColor>
    		</helpsystem>
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

</view>

And when I went back to view the theme in ES, I immediately got a segfault and had to restart.When I finally reloaded ES it completely locked up. I restarted again and same thing. I took the helpsystem bit out and restarted and it worked fine. Not sure what that was about, but it didn’t like it. :)

proxycell
    Participant

argh, you may need to try the ES community itself. try contacting the author of the default “simple” theme. i emailed him yesterday and he replied back immediately to me.

Keigan
    Participant

Try adding the helpsystem info under the detailed/basic view. That should fix your problem.

<view name="basic">
    		<textlist name="gamelist">
    			<size>0.625 0.92</size>
    			<pos>0.35 0.04</pos>
    			<alignment>center</alignment>
    			<selectorColor>00000000</selectorColor>
    		</textlist>
    		<helpsystem name="help">
    			<fontSize>0.02</fontSize>
    			<fontPath>./../art/tradegothic.ttf</fontPath>
    			<textColor>2F2F2F4D</textColor>
    			<iconColor>2F2F2F4D</iconColor>
    			<pos>0.01 0.975</pos>
    		</helpsystem>
    	</view>

kertofer
    Participant

Curious if you have made any further progress on this theme? If so any chance you could post it? I like the look of your dark setup and am really not terribly interested in changing a lot of things in the theme other than that.

pmurch
    Participant

I’d be interested in giving a work in progress version a try too. Any progress?

nilsbyte
    Participant

Here’s the author of the original ‘simple’ theme :)

@nolageek
    i did not get any email from you?

If you use my work as base, be sure to attribute me by mentioning the source of the underlying theme. thanks!

You can change the color of the help system icons and text as well as the position of the two:

pos - type: NORMALIZED_PAIR. Default is "0.012 0.9515"
    textColor - type: COLOR. Default is 777777FF.
    iconColor - type: COLOR. Default is 777777FF.
    fontPath - type: PATH.
    fontSize - type: FLOAT.

i defined the helpsystem properties per-system as each background image in carousel view is differenet, so the help system needs another color value to be readable. you can either change the values in each theme.xml or delete the values there and define it globally in simple.xml. per system values always overrite global values.

nolageek
    Participant

Excellent! Thanks – I’ve been distracted for a few weeks and have not been working on this at all – nor have I logged into the forum.

nilsbyte – I would never remove any of your credits, believe me. :)

As soon as I get back into the swing of things I’ll post what I have so far!

tanner
    Participant

Is this still being worked on?

I would love a dark alternative to the standard simple theme. Would go perfect with my build and my splash screen.

nilsbyte
    Participant

[quote=87720]Excellent! Thanks – I’ve been distracted for a few weeks and have not been working on this at all – nor have I logged into the forum.

nilsbyte – I would never remove any of your credits, believe me. :)

As soon as I get back into the swing of things I’ll post what I have so far!

[/quote]

Thanks! Please post your theme in the official ES forum over here:
    http://emulationstation.org/forum/index.php?board=6.0

nolageek
    Participant

I’m posting it in the official ES forum as well, but here’s the Simple Dark theme in it’s current state. I will be adding the above for the help system when time allows, but I haven’t even had be retropie hooked up in about a month due to packing and moving to a new place.

Simple Dark at github: https://github.com/nolageek/simple-dark

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Emulation Station Themes’ is closed to new topics and replies.