Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Showing MAME game titles (not ROM names)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jellybeancowboy
    Participant

Hey all!

Firstly, awesome work on RetroPie, I’m spending far too much time tinkering a playing – it’s starting to get bad for my health…!!

Anyway, does anyone know how to get MAME to show the game titles instead of the ROM names? It’s really not easy to distinguish between some games as the ROM names can be somewhat cryptic.

Thanks in advance.

J.

kitchuk
    Participant

Hi there, to show actual names you are probably going to need a xml file after a es scrape (boxart) that will alow you to manually name the roms. Go into the retropie setup script and perform a manual scrape on the mame folder. Once this has done you can edit the xml file to change the names.

jellybeancowboy
    Participant

Appreciate the response there kitchuk.

I tried what you suggested but, for some reason, it doesn’t like my manual changes to the xml files. I took the gamelist.xml file from the RetroPie/roms/mame folder and edited it using XMLWrench. After I sftp’d it and overwrote the original there was no change to the title information against the ROM that I edited.
    I tried a full-on reboot in case it needed to re-cache or something but no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

kitchuk
    Participant

When you were editing the xml through sftp did you make sure emulation station was shutdown by pressing f4 and on the command line screen? I noticed that if you don’t shutdown from es then it overwrites the xml and erases any changes.

jellybeancowboy
    Participant

Yeah, I was being stoopid. Not the first time.

I was making these changes remotely through SFTP and clearly didn’t shut down ES before doing so; it’s exactly as you said, the XML files were being overwritten. Really appreciate the help there kitchuk.

Here’s my next question though: I’m now having to manually go through my MAME romset (I have the complete 0.37b5 romset) and name everything manually in the XML file and get my own artwork, because the scraper isn’t able to match up the original ROM names 99% of the time. Has anyone managed to scrape these ROMs successfully, and how?

Thanks again!

J.

mappache
    Participant

Hi,

You can follow this instructions to get the full mame romset xml and snapshots:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=53243&p=408376&hilit=xml+mame#p408376

Regards
    Mapache

jellybeancowboy
    Participant

Hey Mapache, I can’t believe I didn’t respond sooner to say thanks for the response and what must have been a great deal of effort to sort all those screenshots out.

Really appreciate it.

J.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.