Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Shortcut/script to open RetroPie from Raspbian?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, first post here.

I’m trying to make this Win98 look-a-like Pi for nostalgic purposes.

Unfortunately, the DosBox in Raspbian can’t play Daggerfall very well, but Retropie can. (It’s choppy, but still playable.)

What I would like to do is to make a shortcut or script, which does this:

Start script in Raspbian
    Script logs out of/turns off X (Or Raspbian, I’m not sure if they’re the same thing)
    Starts emulationstation and opens a game in Dosbox, without having to navigate the menus at all

And optionally, when closing the game, it also closes down emulationstation

I would also like to know how Retropie/emulationstation manages to stretch the Dosbox window in surface mode. In Raspbian, you can’t do that, but in Retropie the Dosbox screen is stretched. I checked the Dosbox SVN config(which is the Dosbox version that Retropie uses) and it was also set in surface mode.

If I could use the Retropie/SVN version of the Dosbox in Raspbian, I don’t think I would have this problem at all.

I hope this isn’t in the wrong place, and if anyone can help me even a little, that would be much appreciated! :)

Edit: I’ll add this here for someone who is wondering the same thing
    To get slash etc. keys to work in Dosbox outside of emulationstation, set this from the dosbox_SVN.conf file: change usescancodes=false to usescancodes=true. You can find dosbox_SVN.conf in ~/.dosbox

Then, to stretch the image in Raspbian, you unfortunately have to change surface mode to overlay. (This is also in dosbox_SVN.conf file) I didn’t notice huge difference in FPS while playing Daggerfall, but I think surface is a little bit faster.

Then you just set a desired fullscreen resolution, I use 800×600 and you’re done.
    To start Dosbox SVN, go to RetroPie/roms/pc. There’s +start Dosbox.sh, you can use that to start Dosbox SVN in Raspbian.

It could run a lot better, but I think this may be fixed if RPi ever gets good OpenGL support. In theory, you could just set Dosbox in OpenGL mode and it should go smoothly. But I’m not sure about that, I just saw this in /r/raspberry_pi: https://np.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/4171a5/raspberry_pi_gaming_vc4_open_source_driver/

I still would like to know how to force stretch surface mode into fullscreen inside of Raspbian, if that’s even possible.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.