Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Setting NVRAM on libretro mame?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mikeveli20
    Participant

Is this possible? I’m using MAME4ALL for most games and it works with nvram no problem. The libretro ones (lr-mame2003 specifically) don’t seem to support it, at least by default. This means no high scores will save and if I make any changes to dip switches, it has to be done every single time the game is launched.

Also, is it possible to remove the ‘OK’ screen from libretro mame as well? It’s not there for MAME4ALL.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

not without upstream code changes. I fixed up samples recently. I may look into these if/when I have time.

dankcushions
    Participant

i’ve made a few fixes to lr-mame2003 so if you install from source the OK screen is gone and the nvram, etc, will save in various folders inside your /roms/ directory. that’s not a very good place for these folders but i’m not sure of the best place to put them, or if it’s even possible to change the systemDir for mame2003 without breaking other things…

zerojay
    Participant

Is it actually writing out nvram files though?

dankcushions
    Participant

it’s creating gamename.nv files and they’re not empty. i haven’t used nvram before so i don’t know a good game to test and what to look for :)

i was more interested in the mame input remapping functionality and that’s working now!

zerojay
    Participant

A good one to try is NBA Jam or NBA Hangtime. NBA Jam will ask for initials for record keeping. I think you can just play a single quarter and it will keep your initials. Then quit MAME and start it again and see if your record exists when you enter your initials again. Same thing with Hangtime though you can very quickly create your own player and then quit and see if you can get him to come back up again.

Actually, both of those games report CMOS errors on initial startup if nvram cannot be found, so that should even be enough. Start the game, play for a minute or two, quit, start back up and see if you see that CMOS error on boot again (it’ll be in RED TEXT).

And the input remapping functionality is GREAT news.

dankcushions
    Participant

cheers! street fighter alpha 3 was my test rom and i just went to the service menu and set it up for free play, restarted, and it’s still at free play! guess it’s working then :)

dankcushions
    Participant

[quote=118432]i’ve made a few fixes to lr-mame2003 so if you install from source the OK screen is gone and the nvram, etc, will save in various folders inside your /roms/ directory. that’s not a very good place for these folders but i’m not sure of the best place to put them, or if it’s even possible to change the systemDir for mame2003 without breaking other things…

[/quote]

this is now fixed – they store in the proper places. see see https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-libretro/pull/21

(samples work also)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.