Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! SD card help with rpi model B 1

Tagged: ,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nicoman03
    Participant

Ok, so here’s the background:

I found out about retropie and thought it would be super cool. I had a rpi in storage but I couldn’t remember what model it was, so I wrote a 16 gig SD card with the image for retropie 3.0 for rpi model B 2. I got my pi out of storage and the box said model B on it and I was like, “nice, I got the right one!” so I decided to do a test run with a couple spare parts and it wouldn’t boot into EmulationStation. it just went straight to this config thingy or something with a bunch of text. it was trying to boot into EmulationStation but it said something about booting being and illegal action and to press a key to go into retropie so anyway nothing worked. I did some research and realized that I had a Raspberry pi 1 model B and an SD card of a pi 2 model B. I do not want to buy another raspberry pi, but I hope I can get some help here.

What I want to know is if and how it is possible to delete the bad image and rewrite my SD card to work with the rpi 1 model B. It would be awesome if anyone could help me with this!

herbfargus

just overwrite it with the rpi 1 image with win32diskimager and you should be fine. if you’re really worried about it you can format it with sdformatter first, but you shouldnt have to.

just follow this guide: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation

nicoman03
    Participant

ok, so I tried it again with the new image and this time it finished downloading abnormaly fast, then I tried to unzip it with 7-zip but it said “error unexpected close of data” but then I noticed that I somehow had a file that said .img at the bottom so I wrote that to the sd card, but it didn’t work in the Pi. So now I might have a corrupted sd card or something,and I cant get it to download right! I am quite frustrated at this point! Please help.

herbfargus

possible you may be having network issues. the .img file should be about 2 GB when extracted.

nicoman03
    Participant

When the file is extracted, it is about 286,000 kilobytes. When I download it it goes steadily for a while, until it gets to about 50 megabytes, then the download stops downloading, but it hasn’t given an error code. Then, I leave it alone for like 5 min. and when I come back it’s finished which is weird because my internet speed sucks terribly(like, 2.3 mbps and I share with like 100 people(long story)) . then in 7 zip when it finishes extracting it says the file is broken. So……. Maybe the download link is broken, or maybe it’s a problem w/ my internet?

herbfargus

Sounds like an internet issue as I just downloaded the image tonight with no issues. Try the torrent link if the direct download doesn’t work.

nicoman03
    Participant

Do you need to have BitTorrent to use torrent links? From there is anything different?

herbfargus

Yeah you need a torrent client of sorts, bittorrent or utorrent should work.

There are plenty of guides on Google with how to use torrent clients.

nicoman03
    Participant

I’ve hit yet another roadblock. I successfully torrented the .gz file, successfully used 7zip to extract the about 2gb .img file, and attempted to write the image using win32 Disk Imager when I got this error: An error occurred when attempting to write data to handle. error 121: semaphore timeout period has expired.

I mean, like OMGWTF!!! It is like the universe does not want me to play retro games. This is unnerving!

Maybe I just have a super crappy computer. I’m going to try it on another computer.

herbfargus

You may want to make sure your sd card is supported. You may also have to run it through sdformatter if it has bad sectors. If you have another sd card to test that would be good just to eliminate that variable.

nicoman03
    Participant

I forgot to say, I already did use sdformatter to wipe it and my 16 gb sd cart is now 14.7 gb? Is that normal? I think it should work because it worked before with image for pi 2………………

anyway, I guess I’ll find another sd card. mine is a Dane-elec micro, not sure what class but I am guessing 4 because in the bottom corner there is a circled 4. Thank you for helping me so much, I am super grateful.

herbfargus

typically they are never really 16 gb even though they are advertised as such. so that shouldnt be an issue. but yeah if you’ve used sdformatter, I wouldn’t know what they issue might be. you could always just try imaging it again as well just in case it was a fluke.

nicoman03
    Participant

I tried imaging it multiple times, then I rebooted my computer and it got to 91% written and I recieved this error: an error occurred when attempting to read data from andle. Error 1117: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Is it possible that there is another way to write sd cards without using win32 Disk Imager? If so please tell me because I have a feeling this will solve the problem.

herbfargus

Are you running win32diskimager as an administrator?

herbfargus

Also could be an issue with your card reader.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13664

nicoman03
    Participant

Everything is fine and working great! I got a friend to format the sd card on his pc and we plugged it in and it worked fine. Thanks for all your help! Now it is time to buy case, power supply, hdmi cable and usb hub!

1 question. Is there any way to connect control block or power block but still have a case?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.