Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    deminermika
    Participant

Hey,
    I’d like to play Monkey island 2 on my raspberry pi with a snes usb joystick, only you need to enter 4 numbers at the start of monkey island 2. Is there a way to get an on screen keyboard?

Thanks

shiftyowen
    Participant

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Scummvm does have a working virtual keyboard but I haven’t looked yet into getting it connect to a usb controller, or if custom mapping is even possible.

Details here : http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Virtual_Keyboard

I’m prepping to set up scummvm this weekend and am hoping to sort this out. How did you end up setting up your usb controller to work in scumm? I haven’t been able to find much documentation on custom controller mapping.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I will look into adding a “from source” build of scummvm to retropie with the virtual keyboard enabled (as from that page it looks as though it is enabled by default – the wheezy version is also pretty old, and that is the version that is installed as part of retropie currently.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I have the virtual keyboard working. By default it opens on a long press of middle mouse button, or ctrl+f7, but ctrl+f8 opens up the keymapper gui where a key can be assigned. Just finishing off the module configuration and I can submit the code. It requires a source build of scummvm.

basically all this works out of the box on the latest release, the options just need enabling via the ./configure script

petrockblog
    Keymaster
    shiftyowen
    Participant

Awesome Buzz, thanks much!

I’m new to this and installed retropie via the SD image so I’m not familiar with installing things from source and am a bit confused from reading different forum posts.

Do you source install individual items from the command line or via retropie_setup.sh > source-based installation?

Thanks again.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

for individual items the commandline is much easier.

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh

for a list of packages

for scummvm you would do

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh scummvm

and it will go through the process. Scummvm wasn’t a source based packages before, so it will just install the debian package unless you have switched to my scummvm branch.

shiftyowen
    Participant

Slightly confused about your last sentence there. Is that in reference to installing via retro pi-setup.sh or command line? RE: Debian package vs your scummvm branch.

I’m also assuming I need to wait to see your commit merged into master before running the scummvm source update?

Apologies for my ignorance, I’m A noob when it comes to git.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

RetroPie-Setup currently installs the raspbian scummvm package (an older version). It doesn’t actually build it from source at all. My changes now switch over to building from source – so if you currently run sudo ./retropie_packages.sh scummvm it will just install the raspbian package.

You need to wait for my commit yeh, unless you want to checkout my branch beforehand. I actually have commit access to the main repository, but some stuff I do via pull requests as it is useful for feedback/comments from Florian (and others).

Sorry if I confused things :)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

changes are merged now, so if you update your script, you can try building / testing the newer scummvm.

shiftyowen
    Participant

Got it up and running, thanks buzz! All my games run great.

The keyboard and mapping controls are accessible via the keyboard but I’m stumped on how to map those additional keys to a usb gamepad. Is there a config file where I can fine-tune the gamepad mapping?

Couple other things I noticed when testing:

– Launching scummvm from the command line launches the old version of scummvm (1.4 I think). Launching from emulation station launches the new version.

– Exiting a game (launched through emulation station) via the scummvm in-game menu causes the screen to have some visual clipping, then the system hangs. I have to pull the plug to reset.

Every other aspect of the engine seems to be stable for me, though I only tested out a handful of games.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Are you not able to use the mapping gui to map the virtual keyboard ? It certainly worked for me to map it against other keys, but I don’t have a usb gamepad to test.

regarding other points:

the old scummvm is still installed. You can remove it with “sudo apt-get remove –purge scummvm”

regarding the crash – I didn’t see that on my system – are you using hdmi or composite output ? what resolution are you running scummvm in? (Please do a runcommand.sh update – and test with switching the screen mode – after updating/reinstalling the runcommand setup it now supports a per emulator and per rom video output mode – on launch you can switch res by pressing “x” or “m”)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You can also test with the dispmanx configuration – under SETUP menu – enabling it or disabling it for scummvm. This is another recent new feature where you can switch emulators to use the dispmanx SDL or not (off by default). This can help with performance and issues with crashes with framebuffer output.

you can run it manually by doing “sudo ./retropie_packages.sh dispmanx”

petrockblog
    Keymaster

oh and another thing I didn’t mention – is when you first launch scummvm from emulationstation, and add some games, on exit it will add those games to the emulationstation menu (requires a restart of emulationstation).

I basically incorporated a similar method as https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/guidescript-add-all-your-scummvm-games-to-emulationstation/#post-4814 into the scummvm launcher.

shiftyowen
    Participant

Looks like I can map pre-defined gamepad buttons to the keyboard but can’t introduce undefined buttons, which is interesting. For example, the left paddle on my gamepad is defined as “spacebar” so when I remap the keyboard, if I hit the left paddle, it shows assigned as “spacebar”, and it works.

Conversely, if I try to map the keyboard to the “B button” (for example) it doesn’t register in scummvm because the “B button doesn’t have a key assigned to it in the first place. This appears to mean that you also can’t create hockey combos (select + start) scenarios.

It seems like the available joypad controls are hard-coded? This is definitely an improvement though and the ability to remap available buttons is great, will just take some fiddling to sort out available buttons.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I believe the mapper stuff in scummvm is still in development or not completed. There might have been some improvements since the last release though so I’ll have a look at the source history/tickets.

shiftyowen
    Participant

Buzz, for the runcommand.sh, I want to make sure I’m doing this correctly so I can test. To update I do the following?

cd RetroPie-Setup/supplementary
    Sudo ./runcommand.sh update
    Sudo ./runcommand.sh install

I’m using HDMI out to a 1080p tv.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

no, sorry I wasn’t particularly clear on that. it’s all managed from the main retropie scripts.

quickest way is to do

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh runcommand

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You will know if you have a recent runcommand.sh installed as when launching a rom it will say “Press ‘x’ or ‘m’ to configure video output options for emulator name”

shiftyowen
    Participant

Awesome thanks! Now that I ran the runcommand update, it’s no longer crashing when leaving the game back to emulation station, even without making any modifications to the resolution, which was set to CEA-1.

I changed it to CEA-5, looks great! Thanks for the help buzz, I’m learning a lot.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I’m pleased my video output changes have turned out to be useful :) thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.