Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    heyimerik
    Participant

Hey All,
    I’m attempting to move my roms onto my NAS and create a mount on my Raspberry Pi2 and move my savefiles/savestates into a different subdirectory other than the default of in the roms folder. I did my first round of testing where I specified my retropie.cfg with the following–

# Save all save files (*.srm) to this directory. This includes related files like .bsv, .rtc, .psrm, etc ...
    # This will be overridden by explicit command line options.
    # savefile_directory =
    savefile_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/savefile

# Save all save states (*.state) to this directory.
    # This will be overridden by explicit command line options.
    # savestate_directory =
    savestate_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/savestate

Except, when I test this, I see it dumping the *.srm files in the root of “/home/pi/RetroPie/savefile”. I was expecting it to place these saves into subdirectories segmented much like the roms are like so–

/home/pi/RetroPie/savefile/snes/*.srm

Is there a way to do this? I’m keen on keeping a consistent structure so that I don’t overwrite an *.srm file from, say, SNES where the same title was also available on Sega Genesis.

Floob

You could try using these retroarch.cfg file instead, and keep the line blank in your main one.

/opt/retropie/configs/{systemname}/retroarch.cfg

Then you specify your full path:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/savefile/snes/

heyimerik
    Participant

I’ll give that one a go. I was hoping to not have to manually edit each one. But if that is the only recourse, then so be it. Out of curiosity, should I plan for the configs to be overwritten if I upgrade the binaries for RetroPie/EmulationStation?

Thanks!

heyimerik
    Participant

In lieu of understanding the upgrade strategy, I went ahead and confirmed that Floob’s approach works as indicated. One caveat: The ENTIRE directory path needs to exist (e.g. “/home/pi/RetroPie/savefile/snes/”) otherwise, the default of the roms folder will be used.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.