Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Save Files in Unified Locations

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    tendonut
    Participant

I don’t know if EVERYONE would want this, so maybe make it an option during setup. It would be great if there was an option to have all save files for all emulators dumped into a single “saves” directory for easy backup.

I have my ROMs stored on my (gentoo-based) file server. I copied them locally to the Pi during setup. Because of this, I don’t really need to back up my whole ROMs directory on the Pi when I want to wipe the storage. What I ended up doing, is creating a “saves” directory in /home/pi/RetroPie, sticking my save files in there, and sharing it out with Samba (just append this to /etc/samba/smb.conf)

[saves]
    comment = saves
    path = /home/pi/RetroPie/saves
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = pi

Then bounce the service/reboot

sudo service samba restart

Once that’s set up, you can edit /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroach.cfg and uncomment/complete the save file directory line.

savefile_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/saves

Unfortunately, this only works for Retroarch-based emulators, and others like mupen64 are still independent, so it will only be possible if the emulator supports redirecting save files.

e.g., mupen64 in /opt/retropie/configs/n64/mupen64plus.cfg

SaveSRAMPath = "/home/pi/RetroPie/saves"

The GBA emulator, for example, does not have an option like this as of RetroPie 2.6

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.