Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project RPi2 vs RPi3 – Is it even worth it?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 36 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    meneerjansen
    Participant

@twitch0815: Have you tried ‘Star Wars Rogue Squadron’ for the N64? Apart from the first level of ‘Star Wars – Shadows of the Empire’ is one of the few N64 games I’d still like to play.

twitch0815
    Participant

I have and unfortunately it and battle for naboo are 2 of the 7 games I just cannot get to work. It loads but is glitched to high hell dissapoints me to all heck cause its on my top 3 games. But I hope once the devs recompile for 64 that well see it work.

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=119968]I have and unfortunately it and battle for naboo are 2 of the 7 games I just cannot get to work. It loads but is glitched to high hell dissapoints me to all heck cause its on my top 3 games. But I hope once the devs recompile for 64 that well see it work.

[/quote]
    Come to think of it, even on very powerful PC’s it appears to be very difficult (if not still impossible) to run the mentioned games. I believe that this is because of special chips in the carts of those games that enhance the graphics. These chips ware not standard and need to be emulated on a per game basis…

The biggest downside, if you ask me, is that for instance ‘SW – Rogue Squadron’ won’t run in Windows (or Wine) anymore either. The game keeps on nagging about DirectX 6, maybe because the game isn’t compatible w/ the latest DirectX versions… It won’t run.

twitch0815
    Participant

Yea I am with you on that one. Stuf that needed rumblepack is running fine. Perfect dark Dk 64 Shadows of the Empire saw some major improvement but not enough to say I would play it on my 3 over my 64. Everything else is just doing so much better though.

mikeveli20
    Participant

@twitch0815: Any specific MAME games that you recall working better on the pi3 than pi2? Also, if you get a chance would you be able to test the golden tee games, specifically Golden Tee ’97? I’ve tested it on the pi2 but it was slow. I believe they’re compatible with AdvMame and lr-mame2003.

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=120031] @twitch0815: Any specific MAME games that you recall working better on the pi3 than pi2? Also, if you get a chance would you be able to test the golden tee games, specifically Golden Tee ’97? I’ve tested it on the pi2 but it was slow. I believe they’re compatible with AdvMame and lr-mame2003.

[/quote]
    What about ‘Mortal Kombat’? Won’t play on my Pi 1. Have to play the Megadrive or SNES ports for that.

dankcushions
    Participant

for me, mk1 is fine on pi2 with lr-imame4all, but on pi3 it’s also fine on lr-mame2003.

mk2 and 3 are decent on 2003 on both pi2 & 3.

nice vid of n64 compatibility on the pi3:

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=120084]
    nice vid of n64 compatibility on the pi3:
    [cut]
    [/quote]
    Okay, the N64 certainly had its moments if I watch that video. :)

I generally do not dig the first gen. 3D consoles. The games are not that original and combined w/ very bad graphics it’s a real torture to play them. But ‘Perfect Dark’ and ‘Goldeneye’ are gems. The game that got me really addicted at the time (the PC version of it, that is) is ‘Shadowman’. The level design (later in the game you had to go back to earlier levels to finish them because you gained more powers) and the sheer wideness of the levels was groundbreaking! It was non-linear: something that I dearly miss in modern games.

B.t.w.: ‘Shadowman’ is one of the fes games that always works in almost any N64 emulator and on very “weak” machines (like your Android mobile phone or a tablet).

Viewing 8 posts - 36 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.