Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RockCandy USB XBOX 360 Controller woes… …still?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    xd3l
    Participant

I bought a RockCandy XBOX 360 Wired Controller. All is well except the bottom triggers, they don’t seem to register. Also the HOME button always blinks.

I also have this problem on on Raspian and Retropie, though on Retropie the right trigger sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t, but never scrolls through the menu. The left trigger can be flakey sometimes too after configuration and has to be configured over again until it irons itself out. Ironically they both act as if they are going to work during the detection and configuration process.

In Linux Mint on my laptop (also Debian based), I resolved this by updating xboxdrv though apt-get. On the Pi, this made no difference.
    Also according to jstest-gtk, the controller is fine…

Anyhow, I thought all this had been resolved last year. Any theories?

RockCandy

zerojay
    Participant

Can you run lsusb and post the output regarding your controller so I can check to see if we have support for it and if not, it can be added to xboxdrv.

xd3l
    Participant

From Retropie:

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0810:0001 Personal Communication Systems, Inc. Dual PSX Adaptor
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0781:5575 SanDisk Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0609:031d SMK Manufacturing, Inc. eHome Infrared Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 24ed:0451
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

From Raspian:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0781:5575 SanDisk Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0e6f:011f Logic3
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c00c Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

zerojay
    Participant

Am I right to believe that this is your controller?

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 24ed:0451

xd3l
    Participant

He he, my bad, I forgot to plug it into the Retropie hardware when I ran the command…
    …I did it right before I ran out for work. :)

Anyhow, I double checked and it is:

Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0e6f:011f Logic3

zerojay
    Participant

It looks like it’s supported by xboxdrv.

xd3l
    Participant

Ya, it is apparently and has been for a while, which is why I shouldn’t have a blinking light, nor should I be having issues with my bottom triggers.

I saw posts about this controller from months ago, but according to that old thread (not here), the issue had been resolved, but apparently not as well as they’d thought…

zerojay
    Participant

Did you blacklist xpad? Do you have xboxdrv running? Is xboxdrv finding the controller?

xd3l
    Participant

How would I know if I black listed xpad, and while we are at it, what is xpad? :)

I’ll tell you what I’m doing. This is a FRESH install of the latest RetroPie on my Pi 2. I have PS 2 controllers hooked up (as usual) via USB adapter, and they work fine (again as usual). As for the Rockcandy controller, it is brand new.

As for xboxdrv, how do I know if it is finding the controller? Though the controller set up option in EmulationStation? If so, then yes, as I stated above, it detects all buttons like it is fine with it. On Raspian jstest-gtk even shows it as working as it should, but in emulators and in EmulationStation’s menu, the Left Trigger works but not the right. Initially neither button worked, but I configured it a second time and then the left started working, but not the right.

xd3l
    Participant

Here is an interesting one, if I unplug all controllers and detect the rock candy, it comes up as a Harmonix Xbox 360 Controller instead of Generic 360 Controller.

xd3l
    Participant

I have found the source of the problem, the trick is though that I’m not sure how to resolve it.

The fault is to be found in:

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

config files for all controllers.

the Generic XBOX Controller is Missing Commands that the Twin USB Controller is not. The thing is though that the LEFT and RIGHT lower buttons on the Twin USB Contorller (PS2 Joypad) are buttons, where as they are recognized as Throttles on the RockCandy (Generic XBOX360 controller).

Going to /dev/input and running jstest didn’t make things much clearer to me either. I know this fix is simple, it’s just going over my head at the moment.

I can see that the Twin USB has these two lines that the ROck Candy does not.

input_l_btn = “4”
    input_r_btn = “5”
    input_save_state_btn = “5”

TwinUSBJoystick.cfg

GenericX-Boxpad.cfg

EDIT:

I also noticed 2 lines missing between the two controllers in:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg

xd3l
    Participant

OK in es_input.cfg I added the following lines to it and all is well in regards to scrolling through the menus correctly. This should also work for the emulators, or something like it anyhow.

<input name=”pagedown” type=”axis” id=”5″ value=”1″/>
    <input name=”pageup” type=”axis” id=”2″ value=”1″/>

Edit, after a reboot this stopped working again.

I deleted the es_input file from /opt/retropie/config/…
    and in /home/pi/.emulationstation/…

Rebooted, redetected my original controller who’s shoulder buttons were working fine, and now it will not fast scroll through the menus.

I re-deleted all config files and rebooted and redetected a few times to test this and also my Rock Candy controller. And I noticed that Emulation station skips the Triggers on the Rock Candy because they are axis and not buttons…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.