Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project RetroPie wont recognize ps3 controller unless ps button is hit before ES start

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    narp
    Participant

This is extremely frustrating. If the controller’s not on within the small window of time that I have between the BT dongle being on and ES starting, i have to input all the configs for it. Is there anyway for it to just forget about the inputs so I can turn on the controller whenever I want? Thanks!

choccyhobnob
    Participant

I Edited /etc/emulationstation and replaced the code with this..

#!/bin/bash

es_bin="/opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/emulationstation"

if [[ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]]; then
        echo "emulationstation should not be run as root. If you used 'sudo emulationstation' please run without sudo."
        exit 1
    fi

if [[ -n "$(pidof X)" ]]; then
        echo "X is running. Please shut down X in order to mitigate problems with loosing keyboard input. For example, logout from LXDE."
        exit 1
    fi

key=""

x=0

echo "Waiting up to 60 seconds for Joypad 1"
    while [ "$x" -lt 60 -a ! -e /dev/input/js0 ]; do
       x=$((x+1))
       sleep 1
    done
    if [ -e /dev/input/js0 ]
    then
       x=0
       echo "Joypad 1 Enabled :) Waiting up to 10 seconds for Joypad 2"
       while [ "$x" -lt 10 -a ! -e /dev/input/js1 ]; do
          x=$((x+1))
          sleep 1
       done
       if [ -e /dev/input/js1 ]
       then
           echo "Joypad 2 Enabled! Starting Emulationstation"
           $es_bin "$@"
       else
           echo "Joypad 2 not found"
           $es_bin "$@"
       fi
    else
       echo "Joypad 1 not found within time limit; Aborting!"
    fi

This makes retropie pause for up to 60 seconds for me to turn on my controller. If I don’t do it, it quits back to the bash prompt (if I don’t turn on a controller I probably don’t want to play games, I want to work on the config), if I do turn on a controller it waits up to a further 10 seconds for me to turn on a second controller, whether I turn a second controller on or not it will then start ES.

If I have finished playing with configs and just want to go into ES now, I can just type ‘exit’ and ES runs.

This could be improved to do something similar for 4 controllers and even make the “Turn on controller now” message a bit clearer. It comes up after the splash screen closes but isn’t clear from 10 feet away

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.