Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What are your best optimization tips? Including overclock settings, best emulators, emulator option menu settings, hardware recommendations, etc.

proxycell
    Participant

heatsinks on the cpu and memory
    OC to turbo
    (i set memory split to 16mb during compile, 256 for regular use)
    disable the terminal for serial connection
    I only use SSH now, never use samba or the USB copying service (I never install/enable those)
    Leave nothing extra plugged into the pi, including the keyboard (i only use a controller)

I then run a bash script with “sudo su”:
    =====
    sed -i ‘s/#hdmi_group=1/hdmi_group=1/g’ /boot/config.txt
    sed -i ‘s/#hdmi_mode=1/hdmi_mode=4/g’ /boot/config.txt
    echo -e “avoid_safe_mode=1\navoid_pwm_pll=1\nisp_freq=0\nh264_freq=0” >> /boot/config.txt
    sed -i ‘s/elevator=deadline/cgroup_enable=memory elevator=noop/g’ /boot/cmdline.txt
    echo “CONF_SWAPSIZE=512” > /etc/dphys-swapfile
    dphys-swapfile setup
    dphys-swapfile swapon
    sed -i ‘s/vm.swappiness=1/vm.swappiness=10/g’ /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo ‘vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50’ >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    sed -i ‘s/defaults,noatime/defaults,noatime,nodiratime/g’ /etc/fstab
    apt-get -y remove –purge rsyslog
    apt-get -y install inetutils-syslogd
    service inetutils-syslogd stop
    for file in /var/log/*.log /var/log/mail.* /var/log/debug /var/log/syslog; do [ -f “$file” ] && rm -f “$file”; done
    for dir in fsck news; do [ -d “/var/log/$dir” ] && rm -rf “/var/log/$dir”; done
    echo -e “*.*;mail.none;cron.none\t -/var/log/messages\ncron.*\t -/var/log/cron\nmail.*\t -/var/log/mail” > /etc/syslog.conf
    mkdir -p /etc/logrotate.d
    echo -e “/var/log/cron\n/var/log/mail\n/var/log/messages {\n\trotate 4\n\tweekly\n\tmissingok\n\tnotifempty\n\tcompress\n\tsharedscripts\n\tpostrotate\n\t/etc/init.d/inetutils-syslogd reload >/dev/null\n\tendscript\n}” > /etc/logrotate.d/inetutils-syslogd
    service inetutils-syslogd start
    apt-get install -y dropbear openssh-client
    /etc/init.d/ssh stop
    sed -i ‘s/NO_START=1/NO_START=0/g’ /etc/default/dropbear
    /etc/init.d/dropbear start
    update-rc.d ssh disable
    sed -i ‘/[3-6]:23:respawn:\/sbin\/getty 38400 tty[3-6]/s%^%#%g’ /etc/inittab
    setupcon
    dpkg-reconfigure dash
    =====

Please be careful, if you don’t understand whats going on you probably shouldn’t be using it but it should be safe.

If you are really hardcore:
    1. do not use a splash screen
    2. delete the simple theme for ES, use no themes!
    3. do not use any scraped data for the games
    4. compile just what you want, locally on your pi, don’t use the pre-compiled binaries if you don’t have to

the guys who maintain this project have done a REALLY great job at creating an extremely slimmed down image. i would work with that, delete ES/retropie stuff and compile just what i wanted or download just the binaries that i wanted

shwisha
    Participant

Thanks proxycell I’ll check these settings out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.