Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project RetroPie install removes Sonic-Pi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chupoCro
    Participant

Can anybody confirm the same? After installing RetroPie on top of Raspbian, the Sonic-Pi is removed. I checked 3 or 4 times and these are the results:

Before installing RetroPie:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ which sonic-pi
    /usr/bin/sonic-pi
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dpkg --list sonic-pi
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    ii  sonic-pi       1:2.7.0-1    armhf        Sonic Pi is a music programming e

Immediately after installing RetroPie:

pi@raspberrypi:~/RetroPie-Setup $ which sonic-pi
    pi@raspberrypi:~/RetroPie-Setup $ dpkg --list sonic-pi
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    rc  sonic-pi       1:2.7.0-1    armhf        Sonic Pi is a music programming e

I was installing RetroPie with retropie_setup.sh (Binaries).

Pi specs:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
        processor       : 0
        model name      : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
        BogoMIPS        : 2.00
        Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
        CPU implementer : 0x41
        CPU architecture: 7
        CPU variant     : 0x0
        CPU part        : 0xb76
        CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
        Revision        : 0002
        Serial          : 000000002588d567
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

it happens due to some dependency issue with a package required by scummvm – this is a Raspbian wheezy issue though rather than a retropie issue.

You can’t for example install these together

sudo apt-get install sonic-pi libfluidsynth-dev

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=597265

if you need sonic-pi – reinstall it, but scummvm may not work. Alternatively you can try the Jessie image where this should be fixed.

chupoCro
    Participant

[quote=112284]it happens due to some dependency issue with a package required by scummvm – this is a Raspbian wheezy issue though rather than a retropie issue.

You can’t for example install these together

sudo apt-get install sonic-pi libfluidsynth-dev

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=597265
    [/quote]
    So that was the reason – thank you very much for the info!

But that is a five year old report!?
    [quote=112284]
    if you need sonic-pi – reinstall it, but scummvm may not work. Alternatively you can try the Jessie image where this should be fixed.
    [/quote]
    Does it mean the Jessie image included with Noobs is outdated? How can I identify the fixed image?

I did try to reinstall Sonic-Pi and everything seemed OK but then it just hung forever at the Splash screen. Maybe I did something wrong – I just typed ‘sonic-pi’ in the RUN command field inside the GUI to run the program.

I thought this has something to do with Sonic (from Sega Mega) but now it seems Sam&Max and Sonic-Pi won’t work together :-) Joking, of course.

Thany you again for your help!
    Regards

petrockblog
    Keymaster

it is an old bug and the version in Wheezy should be fixed, so it’s either come back, or there is a bug in another package dependencies causing something similar.

On Raspbian Jessie it seems fine.

You installed RetroPie on top of jessie running under Noobs ? I am referring to our prebuild Jessie images, or if you manually install retropie-setup on Jessie Lite etc.

chupoCro
    Participant

I am sorry for the delay, I wasn’t online these days.

Yes, I installed RetroPie on top of Jessie which was installed through Noobs installer. I few days before I borrowed Raspberry Pi 1 Model B from my friend who still didn’t even unpack the box. I have installed Raspbian + RetroPie on top of it and surprisingly it works great (I thought everything would be sluggish). Of course, N64 is quite slow but Spectrum emulator, Sega Genesis, Neo Geo and golden age arcade games in MAME work great. The only problem I had was I couldn’t make the USB digital arcade joystick to work properly. Emulationstation detected the joystick but jstest /dev/input/js0 readings were very odd so I couldn’t use it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.