Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Retropie – Delete ROM files from terminal?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kraken0667
    Participant

Hi guys

Im curious, using Retropie(emulationstation), can you delete ROM files from the terminal somehow. I’ve got a lot of non working ROMs in my setup, and would like to remove them. I have no access to ethernet or wifi on my PI. Can you access the ROM folders somehow?

Thanks
    //Kraken

Floob

Yes, navigate to
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/{Systemname}/

Then “rm filename”

kraken0667
    Participant

Thanks a bunch!

kraken0667
    Participant

Hi again.

Sorry, Im a bit of a n00b. How do I navigate to /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/{Systemname}/?

I tried
    sudo nano /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame/
    for instance

Should I insert something there, or what do I do with “rm filename”?

urky
    Participant

“cd <foldername>” puts you into a folder
    like this your example : cd /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame/
    then when in the desired folder :
    rm <filename> means remove that file, as floob says

(“cd ..” brings you one step out of folder “cd /” brings you to root)

kraken0667
    Participant

That did the trick, thank you for your informative answer.

One last question:

Often, especially in MAME, the original game ROM file name differ from the corresponding game name displayed in the interface/game list.

Therefore it can be tricky to delete some games, not knowing the actual file names that is. Is there away to get the real file names, maybe to see the actual files in the folder?

If not, is there a command for deleting ALL the ROM files in a specific folder?

Anonymous
    Inactive

use..
    “ls -a”

I think that is the command to see what is in the directory you are in.

postman87
    Participant

Is there a way to remove everything in a single folder?
    Let’s say in the /psx/ folder I got 2 roms with very long names. Would be easier to delete them in one go instead of typing out both names.

herbfargus

Quick tip- you can type a few letters and then press tab and it will auto complete the filename for you

Also if you want to know the filename of a certain game from emulation station instead of selecting a game press select and choose modify the metadata then you can see the filename of the game.

You can also see the list of most mame ROMs and their file names here:

https://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wiki/GameList

memps001
    Participant

Follow-up question: What happens to scrubbed metadata when I delete Roms? Is it cluttering up my storage space? How can I wipe unused images and info?

herbfargus

If you want to clean up the metadata for each game you can delete the files under each respective console here:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.