Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RetroPie Black screen boot

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hallas
    Participant

Hi all.
    I have just downloaded and tried to run RetroPie on my Raspberry Pi, but I’m having some issues.
    I downloaded the most recent version, (3.2.1), for the Raspberry Pi 2, given that I have a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. After downloading, I extracted the files with 7Zip to a folder on my computer, formatted the card with SDFormatter (I’m running windows on my computer), and wrote them to the card with Win32DiskImager. I am using a 16 GB card that had no issues with running NOOBS. Everything completed successfully, and the card looked fine, but when I slapped it into my Pi and tried to boot, so far all I have gotten is a black screen. The red light is solid, and the green light is flashing promisingly, but there is no video output. The monitor is plugged in and working, but it is not getting any signal from the Pi. Serious thanks if someone can help me figure this out!

dustloop
    Participant

Sounds like a possible bad flash at the time??? Not 100% sure. I had this issue when I installed Retropie 3.1. Same symptoms I just did a full format on the card and re-installed it I’m using 32GB and it worked fine.

nosedeath
    Participant

I had the EXACT same problem. I just started over again from scratch and it worked. Also if your trying to use a HDMI to Component sigle cable and not a converter. That doesn’t work. Digital doen’t cross driectly over to Analog you’ll need a powered converter. I found that out the hard way.

Hallas
    Participant

Awesome, thanks guys!
    Seriously quick response :)
    I’ll try reformatting the card again.
    By the way, @noseDeath, I’m not sure what you mean by the converter. I have a box HDMI to VGA converter and it works fine for me.

Hallas
    Participant

Hmm, I celebrated victory too soon :(
    For some reason, I still can’t get my Pi to boot.
    I did a full overwrite format on the card with SDFormatter, ran it through the full windows formatter just for good measure, rewrote it, and it still wouldn’t work.
    I tried re-formatting and rewriting, still nothing.
    I was able to successfully write and run Raspbian, so I don’t think it is an issue with my Pi or the setup. Any ideas?

nosedeath
    Participant

Ok so you have a HDMI Box…I had an HDMI CABLE to Component no box.

Hallas
    Participant

Ah, ok.
    Thanks for the help, I figured out my issue.
    Apparently RetroPie wasn’t recognizing my monitor, so I had to uncomment hdmi_force_hotplug=1 in the config.txt file. Everything boots great now, and I have no issues with the display.
    RetroPie FTW!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.