Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Retropie 3.4 Unable to load FBTFT module

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    theluthier
    Participant

I’m using a 2.2″ SPI TFT display with my RPi2. In conjunction with RetroPie 3.2, everything worked fine with FBTFT and FBCP working at startup. I’ve since installed Retropie 3.4 and I keep running into 2 problems:

1. FBTFT module fails to load when added to /etc/modules.

[attachment file=”Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 3.29.16 PM.png”]

Although I’ve managed to work around it by adding “modprobe fbtft_device” to /etc/rc.local.

2. I can’t get FBCP to run at startup no matter what I try. Neither “fbcp &” or “/usr/local/bin/fbcp &” work when added to /etc/rc.local nor in a custom startup script in /etc/init.d/xxx. I’ve also added the command to several other places like /etc/init.d/asplashscreen to no avail.

However, once I get to the console “modprobe fbtft_device” loads fine as does “fbcp&”. So this tells me that perhaps there’s an issue with when the module loads and when/if the fbcp command runs.

Could anyone help shed some light on this?

theluthier
    Participant

I managed to figure it out I guess. Adding ‘sudo’ in front of the fbcp command in /etc/rc.local seemed to fix it.

theluthier
    Participant

Ok, so I spoke to soon. This stated solution about doesn’t seem to work, at least not all the time. Right now I’m at about a 50% success rate for when the FBTFT module loads or not.

This retropie stuff is insanely flaky. Settings change all the time with hardly any, if any, documentation. And I can hear a mouse fart in this forum..

herbfargus

I add documentation as soon as its put into the code. I don’t have it perfect by any means as I am only able to add to it in the free time I have outside of my regular life, so user input is always appreciated (and as it is a wiki, that means anyone can help fill in the gaps I may have missed)

The lack of response to your post likely is due to the uniqueness of your project (as it involves hardware other than the pi) so its likely not many users here would know how to help considering most likely don’t have the same screen you do. I had a similar piece of hardware that a friend loaned me for a short time so perhaps my experience with that may be somewhat useful to you. You can find a somewhat detailed guide on my post here:

GamePi Zero

I hope it is useful to you.

theluthier
    Participant

I appreciate the reply and help with the link. I’ll read it over and see what I can learn.

Forgive me if I was rude. Frustration has been building for the 3+ months that I’ve been scouring forums and wiki’s. I’m not even sure where to post questions most of the time. Perhaps this isn’t a RetroPie issue and perhaps my expectation of documentation is unrealistic.

Moreover I should at least have started expressing my gratitude for RetroPie existing in the first place.

Thanks again, @herbfargus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.