Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Retropie 3.0 beta retroarch.cfg Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Zimmy
    Participant

Ever since I have updated to the Retropie 3.0 beta, I am having trouble using emulator specific config files. For example, I have tried to change the psx controls in the appropriate retroarch.cfg file, yet it seems that the emulator is still using the universal config file and ignoring the control changes I made. Any help would be appreciated as I am out of ideas.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

probably the config has the include at the end rather than the beginning. paste your retroarch.cfg for that emulator please /opt/retropie/configs/systemname/retroarch.cfg

ceuse
    Participant

check your /etc/emulationstation/es_system.cfg file.

For psx the run command reads

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 "/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/psxlibretro/libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /opt/retropie/configs/psx/retroarch.cfg %ROM%" "psxlibretro"</command>

check if yours is difrennt / check the path for the appendconfig and edit those config or fiddle around there in general

David
    Participant

I noticed that the retroarch.cfg for some systems were getting overwritten every time I ran the emulator. I added the following line to the cfg and it stopped getting overwritten.

config_save_on_exit = “false”

petrockblog
    Keymaster

i see. We might need to change that then. previously we were using appendconfig to add the additional configs. now it’s included, we don’t want it to be overwritten with a complete config I guess. I’ll open an issue.

PeriodicLogic
    Participant

I’m having the same problem. Emulator-specific controller settings don’t seem to be having any affect.

I vaguely understand that this is based on a change in the way the configuration files are called in the 3.0 betas, but I don’t know if there’s an easy fix. Changing config_save_on_exit doesn’t seem to fix the underlying problem.

Floob

Thats odd – I’ve set some emulator specific settings in the relevant retroarch.cfg and it certainly seems to be reading them. For example I set some specific shader for the Megadrive and it kicks in quite happily.

PeriodicLogic
    Participant

Perhaps my issue is a different one. I also have some emulator specific settings (such as a specific shader) set in the relevant emulator specific retroarch.cfg that does seem to be active.

I believe I have four settings in my emulator specific retroarch.cfg:

The first two are both shader-related, and both seem to be active.

The second two are different button configurations, and neither seem to be active.

David
    Participant

In 2.6, my controller file located in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs had the following lines which were used:

input_device = “Microchip Technology Inc. Ultimate 2”
    input_driver = “udev”
    input_up_axis = -1
    input_down_axis = +1
    input_left_axis = -0
    input_right_axis = +0

In 3.0 Beta 2, this file is no longer read..

For the Atari 2600 (lr-stella) emulator, I added the lines below.

#include “/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg”
    config_save_on_exit = “false”
    input_player1_joypad_index = 0
    input_player1_left_axis = “-0”
    input_player1_right_axis = “+0”
    input_player1_up_axis = “-1”
    input_player1_down_axis = “+1”

The file will get rebuilt after running the emulator if I remove the config_save_on_exit. It will add many lines and reformat it. It will keep many, if most/all, of my settings but the config file does get updated.

Since I wanted it to keep my formatting, I added the config_save_on_exit. This behavior of updating the config file is not in 2.6.

mirage
    Participant

Here’s what I know after spending a few nights testing and trying.

1 – SYSTEM/retroarch.cfg configs will be considered if you uncomment the following line:
    #include “/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg”

2 – SYSTEM/retroarch.cfg will be emptied after exiting emulator.

3 – Adding the following line to the SYSTEM/retroarch.cfg prevents it from being emptied.
    config_save_on_exit = "false"
    ***Be careful about the “” marks when copying command lines from this forum. My browser and/or regional settings are replacing them with similar “” but they don’t work.***

Now I have damaged my “/etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg” file playing around. My Kodi and custom commands returns:
    Unable to create application. EXITING
    Anybody have a clue of what I did wrong?

David
    Participant

Not that this is what happened to you but when I installed Kodi, it made a back up of es_systems.cfg and created an empty one. If I renamed the es_systems.cfg and then installed Kodi, it created a valid es_systems.cfg. If memory serves, installing the Atari 7800 Libretto emulator did the same thing. Perhaps something in my es_systems.cfg did not allow the install to append to it correctly?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

the #include is not commented out – it should work with the # in front (like a #include statement in C)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey, I had this same issue. The way I fixed it was to manually overwrite the retroarch.cfg file in the emulator config directory you are having issues with. Mine was PSX same as the OP.

All I did was make a new .cfg with retroarch in game then through WinScp deleted the contents of retroarch.cfg (located in /opt/configs/psx) leaving “input_remapping_directory = /opt/retropie/configs/psx/” at the top then copied the output from the saved file into the retroarch.cfg, save, restart EmulationStation and all is fixed… rinse and repeat until satisfied.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

How did you make the retro arch.cfg in game? I am have a heck of a time figuring that out.

herbfargus

Select+x is the hotkey to open up the rgui: see this video:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.