Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Floob

I’ve had a go at showing some new features I saw in RetroPie 2.4 beta – have you guys seen some other tweaks that are useful?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Watching video now – Nice job – thanks. Very detailed and informative.

I contributed a fair amount of the new bits n pieces so wanted to make a couple of comments.

It’s X or M for the menu because I originally used M (for menu ;-) ) and then realised I couldn’t use it on my picade but I could use X – so I added X also – since nothing else is happening at that point I thought it wouldn’t really matter to have two keys ;-)

Regarding the runcommand.sh menu – glad you like it – I was happy how it turned out. One additional feature is that if you choose a 50hz/60hz mode, the refresh rate is passed on to retroarch, which could help with timings for pal/ntsc games etc (in theory – I’ve only given it limited testing)

Apologies for the retropie hostname bug – it sneaked in there. the image will be updated asap with the retropie hostname in /etc/hosts

enabling dispmanx (as well as what you said in the video), can also help with some emulators that freeze/crash when rendering directly to the framebuffer. it can help with performance also as you mentioned, for some emulators as they can render at a lower resolution, and it can be upscaled by dispmanx SDL in hardware.

One main thing behind the scenes is that source and binaries are now separated, so the /opt/retropie contains binary data rather than source. This makes it a bit tidyer and it should use up less space.

New stuff that is happening right now:

The binaries distribution has been split into multiple archives. If you update retropie-setup you can now install binaries individually (from retropie_packages.sh (sudo ./retropie_packages modulename install_bin). We can introduce a new menu for selectively installing/configuring emulators – it should make it easy for people to set up a customised system with just a few emulators they want without having to build from source

Multiplatform support – some initial code has gone in that would allow retropie to be more easily adapted for other arm hardware like the odroid etc. This is currently WIP, and should be transparent to Pi users.

Cheers.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Oh and if you add a game to scummvm from the scummvm gui, it should add it to the emulationstation menu (after a restart). This was based on an idea posted on this forum, and seemed sensible to incorporate it.

dosbox is also about 2-3 times faster, as we worked out how to compile it with the ARM recompilation core. it also mounts the roms/pc folder as C: on start.

Floob

Thanks very much for the feedback on the video. I must try out the dosbox!

One comment I have had is that running startx doesnt seem to work now (not that this should really be an issue)

When I exited out of ES and typed startx it resized the window to about 1/4 size and repositioned in the top left of the screen with a white background.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

it works fine here – it starts x and opens up xterm in the top left (by default). Is that what you mean?

There is no desktop environment included here by design (to keep it small). you can still run stuff under x if required, or install a desktop environment/window manager if you need it. Nothing in retropie requires it though.

if you installed a window manager startx will look different – eg. sudo apt-get install fvwm and then run startx.

proxycell
    Participant

so what are the further goals of 2.4?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

none that I know of :)

Floob

Does anyone know why some controller configs are marked as executable here and some arent?

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs

petrockblog
    Keymaster

just to do with the source file permissions. They should all be 644 really, but it doesn’t really matter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Whenever I run apt-get update or update the retropie-setup script, I see the following at various points:

“sudo: unable to resolve host retropie”

Floob

[quote=84958]Whenever I run apt-get update or update the retropie-setup script, I see the following at various points:

“sudo: unable to resolve host retropie”

[/quote]

Thats resolved in the video above.
    Edit your hostnames file to replace raspberrypi with retropie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.