Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie RetroPi 3 on Rasbperry Pi 2 AND pitft 3.5 LCD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wilsonb
    Participant

RetroPi 3 on Rasbperry Pi 2 AND pitft 3.5 LCD

For the life of me I can not get my Adafruit piTFT 3.5 LCD (480×320)

working… I had it working before with previous version of RetroPi.

Anyone? If you do have this working, PLEASE reply with a link with exact instructions you used. Every page I followed doesn’t work.

Cheers,

Wilson

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did you get this working with RetroPie 3.0?

wilsonb
    Participant

No, I went back to a previous version of Retro Pie and have it working nicely (mirroring LCD & HDMI out at same time).

Have not tried it in a few months. The latest version avail when I posted this, broke things/ think it used the wrong kernel. No way could get it working.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Damn… so I guess it just comes down to retropie?

wilsonb
    Participant

Do you have the exact LCD I have with Raspberry 2 ?
    Use an older version of Retro Pie, pre 3
    I can boot mine up tomorrow and let you know what version I got working.
    Matter of fact, can give you most of the files to get it working.
    There is that automated script for LCD setup from Ada fruit (google).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not yet.. just investigating an LCD I can use in a large scale project. I would prefer to use 3.0 but starting to realise that may not be possible at this stage.

The files would be fantastic, thank you!

goldenzippo
    Participant

I’m having a ton of problems also. I’m not even able to run the first couple of lines of the tutorials without having errors thrown at me.
    cd
    curl -SLs https://apt.adafruit.com/add-pin | sudo bash
    sudo apt-get -y install raspberrypi-bootloader
    sudo apt-get -y install adafruit-pitft-helper

I got the curl to run by just adding the addafruit repository minus the add-pin but I feel it’s causing me to be missing somoe things I need.
    rspberrypi-bootloader seems to install fine
    the pitft helper only pratially installs & throws a size mismatch error so I can’t even run the helper.

Tried editing the config without the helper through the instructions but that didn’t do anything either.
    I’m using a totally generic 3.5 touchscreen I found from China.
    Thanks for the heads up on previous versions working. I think I’ll try setting it up in an older retro version & then update if I get the screen working.

wilsonb
    Participant

goldenzippo , the Adafruite script will prob not work with your generic LCD. You would need specific drivers for that LCD. What I posted was for Adafruit 3.5 LCD

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve just received a 2.4″ adafruit screen and I’ve followed the below guide but keep getting a white screen. I’ve checked solder joints and they all look ok, and have tried installing the kernel on 2 seperate installations of Retropie 3, but keep getting a whitescreen / backlight.

One thing I noticed that when it switches from framebuffer to the emulation station screen (As I can see this on my monitor via HDMI), the LCD quickly turns black and then goes back to white. I’m guessing this is trying to initialize the driver?

Does anyone have any tips to get this working?

https://learn.adafruit.com/running-opengl-based-games-and-emulators-on-adafruit-pitft-displays/pitft-setup

wilsonb
    Participant

What version of Retro Pie are you working with?

Anonymous
    Inactive

3.0. Others have managed to get it working and I for the life of me can’t figure it out :\

wilsonb
    Participant

I have not either.. See my top post.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.