Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    supraman215
    Participant

Running retropie with PS controllers.

I’m so beyond confused at how ES handles the Retroarch configs after over 8 hours I have made no progress.

There’s 3 ways to enter retroarch config.
    1. From command line running retroarch directly
    2. from within retroarch after starting a game via ES
    3. via the ES config menu
    What is the difference in the config files when entering in these various ways? I figured out that the /opt/retropie/configs/all is the location of the config file to spite there being many copies all over the FS.

issues
    1. I want to be able to open the rgui just by hitting the PS button for whatever reason I can not get that to work, only if I hit PS + Start
    2. I will set “save config on exit = on” and that setting every once in a while will change back to off, not sure why this happens.
    3. I will tell retroarch to use a different config file and it will always set it back.

I just need maybe a tutorial on how ES handles the config files. It was very straight forward in the Windows version and I figured that out pretty quickly. This version is so much different.

Sorry for all the text but last time I spent days on an issue posted here and was helped so quickly. I’m lost again. So thanks in advance!

Roo
    Participant

My recommendation would be to stop trying to fight RetroPie for control of the configs. Why do you want to change the location of the configs? Why do you want to enable save on exit? If you don’t want RetroPie to be RetroPie, install Raspbian and then install RetroArch on top of that and be done. It will act just like your Windows installation of RA.

If you take my advice, then the layout of the configs is pretty straight forward. /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg is the main config file

The individual system configs, for example /opt/retropie/configs/nes/retroarch.cfg override the main config file (just like it says in each of these files)

# All settings made here will override the global settings for the current emulator core

if you run jstest and determine your button mappings you can modify the main config /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg. For example, if you have two buttons to spare and don’t want to use a hotkey:

input_enable_hotkey_btn = nul
    input_menu_toggle_btn = "14"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "15"

RetroPie is designed to not use the RetroArch GUI – RetroPie is designed to be a 10 foot interface and the RA GUI is not a 10′ friendly interface. If you want to make changes, settings should be made in the config files, settings made via the GUI will not be saved. If you try to change that behavior, you’ll have to hack up ES – the commands it uses to launch RA are hard coded with the locations of the cfg files it is designed to use.

supraman215
    Participant

I will do all the modifications to retroarch.cfg manually as you suggested. Also I didn’t use the retropie SD image, I installed raspabian then retropie on top of that. I want this machine to have multiple uses. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.