Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As the topic says. I’m using a Pi 2 and RetroPie v3.5. I have the 3 games that work fine on the PC version of ResidualVM. When on the RetroPie version, I add the game directories then when starting a game it checks the files, successful, then exits back to EmulationStation. It does this on all three games. Does this work for anyone else ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just had the same problem, but I was messing around with installing a different version of ResidualVM by modifying the script. I am currently reinstalling ResidualVM as I type this using the default script to test again.

zerojay
    Participant

Can you provide a log from /tmp/runcommand.log? I created the script and it works fine with me for Grim Fandango.

windale
    Participant

This is what was in the log :-

WARNING: Could not find theme ‘modern’ falling back to builtin!
    WARNING: No hardware input were defined, using defaults!
    WARNING: Couldn’t create 32-bit visual, trying 16-bit!
    WARNING: Couldn’t create 16-bit visual with alpha, trying without alpha!
    WARNING: Error: OpenGL not available!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m getting the exact same error. Fresh install of ResidualVM on a clean install of RetroPie 3.6.

I’m using good grim game data I’ve verified and used with Residual on the PC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, I got it to load by changing the render mode to software in the ResidualVM settings GUI.

The game speed is very playable, but the intro was very choppy.

windale
    Participant

So you say it works in Software mode ? I don’t have any time to check at the moment. I did notice on the RisidualVM Github that there were a couple of attempts at fixing OpenGL but obviously hasn’t fixed it yet and that was 2 weeks ago (or possibly an error in the setup script ?)

zerojay
    Participant

The intro video is definitely choppy. It plays well with software rendering a lower resolution selected and full screen turned off which makes it… full screen.

windale
    Participant

So is OpenGL etc. supposed to work on this or is it a bug ? Will it be fixed or it’s just Software Rendering and that’s it ?

zerojay
    Participant

OpenGL is not supported. Perhaps if there’s a way that the experimental driver could work for us without needing x bit I wouldn’t hold my breath for it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ResidualVM should have opengles2 support. There are some parameters for it in the build configuration, but the compile fails if you try and force it.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I can look into enabling opengles – probably needs some similar changes as scummvm does with library paths etc and forcing sdl2

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I thought it may support SDL2, but doesn’t look like it (just contains references due to code merged from the scummvm project). if GLES works, it would probably need some dispmanx code. There was mention on a ticket yesterday about possibly looking into SDL2 support, so it might be added in the future.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tested the ResidualVM installation in RetroPie a little further today with disappointing results. I copied over several save game files to test at different points throughout the game. ResidualVM will compile just fine and Grim Fandango will load. The intro is very choppy, and the beginning of the game is playable, but there are many more graphically demanding portions of the game later on, and it is definitely unplayable at those points and even crashed my pi a couple times. I tried forcing a lower resolution and tested out different memory splits to no avail.

At this point, I would consider ResidualVM games unplayable on the Raspberry Pi until better optimizations are made upstream.

sartrefan
    Participant

@benwlson

Are you using a Pi2 or Pi3? Grim Fandango seems to run perfect for me on an overclocked Pi3

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, I should have mention which model I was using: a Pi2 with the standard overclock.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.