Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements raspberrypi3 RetroPie planning

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    tboheeren
    Participant

Dear,

Is there already an ETA on the rpi3 version for retropie project?
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

Br,

Thibaut

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Is this post a joke or ?

brainfrz
    Participant

I believe the instruction sets are the same (32bit wise that is), so i think it should be able to run the current image.

Would love to see wifi and bluetooth on board though. I’m sure a future release would implement those.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

yes – the current rpi2 image should run. There is of course no ETA for the a 64bit version – at least it will be when we have a board (I have one ordered). I was just surprised by the post, since they have only been on sale for a matter of hours and we are being asked about an ETA.

brainfrz
    Participant

Well, in his defence there were rumors and some developers already had testing boards with an NDA. :)

herbfargus

Sounds like we need to get in with the raspberry pi foundation and get on their testing board list for the next raspberry pi release.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

should have mine tomorro

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Raspbian is currently going to stick at 32bit for now “At launch, we are using the same 32-bit Raspbian userland that we use on other Raspberry Pi devices; over the next few months we will investigate whether there is value in moving to 64-bit mode.”

so the rpi2 build will be the one to use for now. when calling retropie-setup script you may need to do

sudo __platform=rpi2 ./retropie_setup.sh

petrockblog
    Keymaster

actually that won’t be needed – it will identify as a rpi2

InsecureSpike
    Participant

awesome! thanks buzz

n1tr0
    Participant

Following this thread. Have my Rassberry Pi 3 on order! I’m hoping everything works the same, just faster. I’ve heard that the Nintendo 64 emulator was at the limits of what the Pi 2 could handle.

tboheeren
    Participant

Mine should arrive today. The first test will be retropie. Will keep you guys posted. And buzz the last thing I wanted to do is give you or the rest of the team a push or stress for the rpi3. I was just excited about the new speed in combination with retropie.
    Keep up the amazing work!

tboheeren
    Participant

I just tried the latest standard img 3.5 for the rpi2 but I dont get a boot. color screen stays on and the green led blinks. Im gonna try openelec latest build and make sure nothing is wrong with the pie itself.
    EDIT: openelec works normally on the rpi3. Is there another img I could test by any chance?

tboheeren
    Participant

Good news I got it going with the build buzz shared on google drive. You can find a first test on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISHhOsHy64.
    Sorry for the bad video quality

InsecureSpike
    Participant

awesome, is the built in wifi working?
    it’s working by default, but it’s not working with the image I upgraded from

never mind figured it out lol

tboheeren
    Participant

I used cable to set things up. So I did not yet tested wifi.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

sorted, don’t think my update worked well, but all done now

InsecureSpike
    Participant

retropie v3.6 is out and can be used on the pi3!

tboheeren
    Participant

A couple of you asked me to do some more testing on specific games or emulators.
    You can find them all here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLShJegxSSfSJg59b_AIj4phMFrsK7x8Kl

staticc
    Participant

What are your overclock settings, tbo? I’ve tried asking this in other threads but haven’t gotten an answer yet. Also I see you have Ocarina installed. How does it run??

tboheeren
    Participant

Everything is standard so no overclock settings. Ocarina of time is the same like mariokart. Video very smooth but sound very choppy.

d3m0n1q733rz
    Participant

I believe that we could further enhance Retropie for the RPi3 by compiling with Thumb2 or even in Thumb2 mode if it’s faster. GCC can generally change its mode based on profile data to use either ARM or Thumb2 or even using thumb-interwork on RPi2 to speed things along with a minor increase in code size for 16-bit based computations.
    It’s a shame to have the ability to use Thumb2 and not do it.
    I suppose this would, in essence, further split the repositories, but if we’re using deltas to store changes anyway (which I would hope we are), the repositories should be fairly small and compressible anyway without requiring a large server to handle them.
    Now, getting into the 64-bit side of things, using Aarch64 would produce somewhat faster code if we can manage to process more in fewer registers, but that would require further breakdown of repositories and a complete recompile of all binaries to 64-bit which is a real pain (especially if you try to bootstrap all of your compilers with the older versions of GCC presently used on Retropie).
    I’ve managed a few optimizations with GCC 5.3 that aren’t available in version 4.x that reduces redundant code and speeds things along nicely — mainly using LTO. It would probably be better to attempt compiling with it if we can get it to work properly (it’s a hassle since it doesn’t seem to have been built yet). Profiling the builds with thumb-interwork enabled might help to build the best balance of performance and size for the kernel, programs, etc.
    But there’s my 2 cents.

tboheeren
    Participant

I tested today with glideN64 instead of the standard emulator for N64. Big improvement especially for Goldeneye. You can check it out here

d3m0n1q733rz
    Participant

Was this using the standard image or recompiling using the new features of the RPi3?

tboheeren
    Participant

Standard image that is available here on petrockblock.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.