Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ll probably have more once I get the Raspberry Pi, but this is it for now. I’m following a tutorial on how to install and configure RertroPie but I have a question before I can even buy it — What exactly do I need and which mdel of Raspberry Pi do I need? (http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/default.aspx?cl=1 | I’ guessing it’s either the Type B with 8GB SD card or the Type A with 8GB SD card?) In addition to the model, what exactly do I need to be able to play games, besides a USB controller, keyboard and monitor? The site says the RP doesn’t come with anything so would I need to buy: a case(yes I will be), one of the OS’s, any of the USB drives, wireless adapter, power supply, and a HDMI cable?

Thanks you! When someone points me in the right direction, I’ll go buy it and probably have another few questions later.

kitchuk
    Participant

I would recommend one of the kits of Amazon if you don’t already gave all the extras. I bought one my self for about £40 with Pi (Model B), 8GB Sd card, hdmi, Etherley cable, case and power supply. Definitely recommend getting the model B with more ram at 512mb. Retropie is built on Raspbian so you don’t need to worry about the operating system.

meimme
    Participant

Ah, okay. I went ahead and bought the model B one a=with a power supply, SD card and a case.

I have another question now: through all my research it seems like only way to connect this to a display is by using a HDMI and plugging it into a HDMI monitor. Now, here’s the problem. I have a HDMI cable but no HDMI monitor – only a one with those blue cables with the circles that sorta screw in tight… will this work if I plus the computer end into the Raspberry Pi? If not, can I just use it with a normal TV that is HDMI compatible? (never done this before. Usually for me its monitors are for PC’s and TV’s are for gaming so I’m a little confused).

kitchuk
    Participant

Yeah you can simply plug the pi into straight into your TV via hdmi. Or, you can use a component cable and audio jack as an alternative if your using an old moniter/TV.

meimme
    Participant

Ah, okay. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.