Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie PS3 controllers – not recognized (kinda)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    retroshaun
    Participant

I just spent a whole afternoon trying to get a PS3 Dual Shock 3 controller working with retropie 3.6 on a Pi 3 and – nothing.

First off, isn’t it meant to be automatically configured in 3.6? Doesn’t seem so.

Its hard to say exactly what problems I had as they are different each time. First try I had it connected via USB and it was recognized in controller setup but only some of the buttons (maybe half?) were responding in the setup menu.

Since then (and with a fresh image) its not seeing it at all. Occasionally when I press the Playstation button it flashes up PS3 controller but nothing is recognized in the button config.

Manually going into the pairing menu and installing the drivers and selecting ‘pair’ doesn’t do anything either, thereafter I get no devices found when going back to controller setup. Aside from keyboard.

Super frustrating. What am I missing here?

gizmo98
    Participant

rpi3 + ps3 controller –> Run sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth to install broadcom bluetooth firmware.

retroshaun
    Participant

I did that (from the config menu). Still getting the same crazy results.

buffering
    Participant

Same issue. I am new to retropie and have a Pi3 on the latest version of retropie.
    bluetooth firmware is updated.

If I connect the controller for the initial setup via a usb cable it reports “1 gamepad connected” holding down a button says “PS 3 controller detected” and starts setup.
    I can start mapping the buttons but after a few seconds the controller stops responding.

If you are really quick you can get down to the “OK” but can’t select it.

Removing the usb cable and it will not work over bluetooth.

Any help appreciated.

retroshaun
    Participant

I gave up. Way too fiddly and unreliable. I bought a wired pad and it works perfectly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.