Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

New to this forum and love RetroPie.

I’m running retropie 3.2.1 and having issues in pairing my PS3 controllers (have seen alot of posts about this but can’t find any who helps).

I connect my blutooth dongle and PS3 controller (USB), boot the Pi and the follow this video:

In short he (and me) goes into the retropie-setup and using my USB connected PS3 controller i chose:

Setup / Configuration
    310 Install/Pair PS3 Controller
    Install/Pair PS3 Controller

Now it prompts me to make sure my controller is connected over USB (which is already is), disconnect it and push the PS button to pair.

The same second i disconnect the USB-cable i get:

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/joy2key.py” line 49, in <module> event = js_fd.read(event_size) IOError: [Errno 19] No such device

All 4 LEDs on my controller are now flashing fast because it is trying to pair then stops after a while. If i connect the USB cable back to the controller it just starts charging with slow flashing and can’t do anything but using my USB keyboard.

With the keyboard i can go back and try to pair again. However, the error message never appear again and the PS3 controller cannot be used even over USB unless i restart the setup.

This always happen to me. I follow guides exactly and still introduce issues no one have ever heard about before.

Would appreciate any help.

paperboy
    Participant

Hi
    Is it a genuine sony ps3 controller?
    I had same prb with cheap oem.

redfarmer
    Participant

Thanks for replying!

Yes, they’re genuine. I’ve tried with 2 controllers and one of them was even bundled with my PS3.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the same issue but once I restarted the unit and got back into retropie I then pressed the ps button and it paired fine,just had to setup the buttons again.I’m still having issues with non genuine ones though.

miahotrod
    Participant

I am experiencing the same thing I have noticed that before I run the PS3 set up
    that if I run /etc/init.d/bluetooth status The bluetooth is up and running but after the PS3 install if I run /etc/init.d/bluetooth status it shows failed even with a reboot
    than if I uninstall the PS3 controller Bluetooth is up and running when I run /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
    Note I have experienced this with retropie 3.2 and 3.2.1
    I also test this with a CSR 4.0 BT Dongle and A Plugable BT 4.0 dongle

I am cross posting since the Bluetooth issue might be separate

redfarmer
    Participant

>>Slayer
    Tried pressing the PS button after reboot when in EmulationStation but no go.

>>miahotrod
    Interesting. Bug introduced in newer RetroPie?

Is anyone else successfully using PS3-controllers in RetroPie 3.2 or 3.2.1?

This is what it looks like the same instance as i disconnect the USB cable from the controller (rightclick and chose View image to zoom):

When PS3 controller is unplugged.

miahotrod
    Participant

>> RedFarmer or any one else can you replicate the results I had. Using a fresh install
    or retorpie 3.2 or 3.2.1

1 Fresh Install run run /etc/init.d/bluetooth status the bluetooth is up

2 Install PS3 controller run /etc/init.d/bluetooth status the bluetooth is down

3 Reboot run /etc/init.d/bluetooth status the bluetooth is down

4 Uninstall PS3 controller run /etc/init.d/bluetooth status the bluetooth is up

if people can replicate this it than might be a bug

gizmo98
    Participant

@miahotrod
    No problem there. sixad daemon disables bluetooth daemon. Take a look into the sixad daemon script (bt_start_and_stop). I suppose bluetoothd and sixad cannot run at the same time.

@redfarmer

What happens if you uninstall joy2key?

miahotrod
    Participant

@ Gizmo98

I have sixad set to sixad –boot-yes
    when I boot up and check Bluetooth status is failed
    when I stop sixad sixad –stop
    and check Bluetooth status is up
    when I start sixad sixad –start the controller will not pair and it times out
    and does not return to prompt
    after reboot it shows failed for the Bluetooth

redfarmer
    Participant

[quote=109838] @redfarmer
    What happens if you uninstall joy2key?

[/quote]

I’m actually not really sure how to do that and what effect it would have. Won’t it stop me from using controllers in EmulationStation? How would i get it back?

Thanks.

redfarmer
    Participant

Problem is solved!

I first connected a cabled XBox360 controller that made my PS3 controller the “second” device. So when the RetroPie setup wanted me to connect it over USB and then unplug to pair i did not get the error in the screenshot above.

By curiosity i removed the XBox360 controller during the pairing process and the error appeared.

I think the RetroPie setup gets “confused” when the main controller is removed, even in the pairing process. This is why i couldn’t pair when the PS3-controller was the only active controller connected over USB.

mojoe
    Participant

@redfarmer

I’m having the exact same issue as you were. Could you list a step by step of how you got your controller working?

I tried plugging in another wired controller. When I put in “lsusb” it listed the PS3 controller lower on the list than the wired controller. So I assume the PS3 controller is the “second device” like you suggested. But I’m still getting the same result.

After running the PS3 controller install, the controller does work via a usb cable. But it won’t pair via bluetooth

Any tips?

BTW, I’m using a clean install of Retropie v3.2.1 from an SD image, and a genuine PS3 controller

mojoe
    Participant

Never mind. Redfarmer was correct. Adding another controller and using the PS3 controller as the “player 2” controller somehow allowed it to connect via bluetooth.

Once it paired as “player 2”, I just unplugged the other controller and rebooted.

At that point, I was able to pair correctly as “player 1” with the PS3 controller via bluetooth

Thanks so much for the fix!!!!! I’m about 8 hours into this search.

pizzafaceassn
    Participant

This is probably a really stupid question. What does your setup look like? I have my keyboard, wifi, Bluetooth, and PS3 usb connected how are you adding an additional control?

mojoe
    Participant

@pizzafaceassn

I had to temporarily remove my wifi dongle to make room for a second controller during the end of the process.

In order to keep the Internet connection, I used a hard wired Ethernet cable.

So in addition to the Ethernet cable, I had:
    1. A Logitech wired controller
    2. Keyboard
    3. Bluetooth dongle
    4. PS3 controller wired with USB

I then ran “lsusb” and verified that the PS3 pad was lower on the list of USB devices than the other controller. (I don’t know if that’s actually necessary. I’m just guessing. I’m a beginner at coding)

Next I ran “install/pair PS3 controller” from the setup menu.

The response was exactly the same. So no change there.

Then I just rebooted into game mode. Once everything loaded, I disconnected the PS3 controller from its wired connection and pressed the “PS3” button.

At that point, it paired as player 2.

Then I removed the Logitech controller and rebooted again.

Finally, the PS3 pad paired as player 1

redfarmer
    Participant

[quote=110301]Never mind. Redfarmer was correct. Adding another controller and using the PS3 controller as the “player 2” controller somehow allowed it to connect via bluetooth.

Once it paired as “player 2”, I just unplugged the other controller and rebooted.

At that point, I was able to pair correctly as “player 1” with the PS3 controller via bluetooth

Thanks so much for the fix!!!!! I’m about 8 hours into this search.

[/quote]

Glad i could be of help.

[quote=110337] @pizzafaceassn

I had to temporarily remove my wifi dongle to make room for a second controller during the end of the process.

In order to keep the Internet connection, I used a hard wired Ethernet cable.

So in addition to the Ethernet cable, I had:
    1. A Logitech wired controller
    2. Keyboard
    3. Bluetooth dongle
    4. PS3 controller wired with USB

I then ran “lsusb” and verified that the PS3 pad was lower on the list of USB devices than the other controller. (I don’t know if that’s actually necessary. I’m just guessing. I’m a beginner at coding)

Next I ran “install/pair PS3 controller” from the setup menu.

The response was exactly the same. So no change there.

Then I just rebooted into game mode. Once everything loaded, I disconnected the PS3 controller from its wired connection and pressed the “PS3” button.

At that point, it paired as player 2.

Then I removed the Logitech controller and rebooted again.

Finally, the PS3 pad paired as player 1

[/quote]

My method was really straightforward. I just connected my first controller and then the PS3-controller and it was automatically the second device. Then started the pairing process. After it was paired i pulled the first wired controller and rebooted just as you mentioned and then it paired as first device.

I do think this should be treated as a bug.

gizmo98
    Participant

@all of you
    Was the controller connected at boot up? sixpair runs if you connect your controller “at runtime” (in emulationstaion for example) and the controller should be instantly ready afterwards. If your controller is connected at boot time sixpair does not run.

Sixpair is necessary to write the mac address of your bt dongle to the controller once. The controller should always pair afterwards.

redfarmer
    Participant

[quote=110359]@all of you
    Was the controller connected at boot up? sixpair runs if you connect your controller “at runtime” (in emulationstaion for example) and the controller should be instantly ready afterwards. If your controller is connected at boot time sixpair does not run.

Sixpair is necessary to write the mac address of your bt dongle to the controller once. The controller should always pair afterwards.

[/quote]

Ok. I’m almost certain i tried both (connected via USB both before and after boot) but still got the error. At least i’m 100% i had it connected during boot several times.

However, i’m not sure i fully understand. You mean that the PS3-controller should always be connected over USB during runtime prior the pairing process rather than having it connected during boot?

gizmo98
    Participant

@redfarmer
    If you connect at runtime sixpair runs without user interaction. Sixpair configures your controller. This takes one second. After this second your controller should be ready for pairing. Remove USB cable and press PS button.

As i said if your controller is configured it is not necessary to connect over usb and run sixpair again. Configuration persists.

redfarmer
    Participant

[quote=110386] @redfarmer
    If you connect at runtime sixpair runs without user interaction. Sixpair configures your controller. This takes one second. After this second your controller should be ready for pairing. Remove USB cable and press PS button.

As i said if your controller is configured it is not necessary to connect over usb and run sixpair again. Configuration persists.

[/quote]

Yes, it is already configured so now it connects without issues (i’m not using the cable anymore).

But, does it mean that when configuring a new controller i don’t actually have to go into the RetroPie setup and choose the PS3 pairing option? I can just do it outside the setup, from EmulationStation ie?

Thanks.

gizmo98
    Participant

Yes, exactly. PS3 driver is not installed by default. Once you have installed the driver it is no longer necessary to go into the RetroPie setup menu. If a ps3 controller usb “connect” is detected at runtime sixpair will be executed.

I have modified the setup script today a little bit. So if your controller is usb connected at driver installation time sixpair will run and configure your connected controller (like in retropie < 3.1).

redfarmer
    Participant

Cool! Everything solved :)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.