Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just an intro message to a new project I’m working on. Converting a PS2 Slim into a console. Not a new idea but I hope to offer up a few for sale with possible interest leading to a more professional product. I’ll try elaborate on both of these.

I have a PS2 slim. Gutted it and bought parts. It will include wi-fi. 2 usb ports. 2 PS controller ports. HDMI outlet. Audio outlet. Internal power supply. Regular sized SD Card Reader Cooling for those that want to over clock it. It will be completely rebadged (de-badged). Option too come with or without a raspberry2 Pi already fitter. I will offer this because some of you may be able to get them cheaper than I can. They are not cheap where I live.

I have considered a hard-wired RP2, but think that the option for an easy upgrade or self fit is more valuable to others.

I have started on a YouTube video on this project. I’ll be fielding people input once I have posted some photos of the specifics.

ekdor
    Participant

As for the possible followup project. I will only do this if there is a change of a moderate opportunity to sell them since there would be direct manufacture costs involved. The case will be entirely custom built. It’s main difference apart from appearance will be hard wiring and a built in display. I’ll still provide the HDMI and Audio outputs as options.

I may stay with the PS1/2 controller ports as the primary option with the USB alternative. This has obvious advantages of a pre built controller and the option for an arcade control panel to be plugged in. I’ll only configure for the PS1/2 controller since I won’t know the variations that might come its way.

It’s still food for thought but I offer it up for possible interest down the track.

ekdor
    Participant

Photo 1. Showing scale for those not familiar.

Photo 2. Showing PS1/2 controller connector to USB. Will be using the pcbs wired to the existing connectors in the console and a shorter length of USB cable to the Pi.

Photo 3. Showing general overlay of PS2 Slime PCB. I intent to utilise some of the existing connectors and strip the board free of SMD’s. First desoldering the connectors, stripping, then removing sections to allow for cables to be soldered to the connectors to be desoldered to the PSB. I do not wish to utilise the copper traces. The PCB will also get a colour coat. The existing PS2 PCB will be used as a mounding foundation for the power supply and Raspberry Pi 2 PCB’s. This has the advantage of already fitting the case moulding and already locate the few desired connectors with the case moulding.

Photo 4. Showing front side of PCB with connectors. Will refuse both controller connectors which will be wired into the PCB shown in photo 2 This will utilise one of the Pi USB ports. The two memory connectors above them will not be used but one will serve as a mounting foundation for a standard sized SD Card reader which will connect to the SD Micro via adaptor flex. I choose to use a standard size for flexibility of availability and affordability of SD cards. The two USB connectors will also be connected to two of the Pi USB ports via cable and USB connector. Obviously for use for momentary use such as USB sticks, a Full control panel BT module or what ever. Good time to mention that the last remaining USB port on the Pi will be used by a Wi-Fi module.

Photo 5. Showing back side of the PS2 PCB with connectors. I will Reuse the Ethernet connector which will be connected via a short cable to Pi. The Sony proprietary AV connector will be replaced with he HDMI connector connected via short cable to Pi. I may resume the Optical fitting to position for the 3.5mm audio jack and connected via cable to the Pi. The Sony proprietary power connector (I assume this since it doesn’t fit a standard 5 mm power connector and is only fractionally out), will be removed. A new mains connector such as used for shavers will be put in with a dead power switch on the other end of this side of the PSB. That will connect via the dead latching switch to a power supply suitable for the Pi and its peripherals. Which in tern will connect via cable to the Pi as per usual.

Photo 6. Showing Some parts from the PS2 Slim that I intend to reuse. Not shown here is a heatsink that reduced in size will be suitable for over clocking. That scenario will utilise the small fan which will be powered by the power supply. Have to make sure the supply can handle that along with the others. To the right of the fan is the original soft switch, light and infrared for the PS2. I’ll probably utilise this for the LED and switch for a soft power down for the Pi via GPIO and script. Other parts are memory slot hatches, buttons, feet and screw covers. Metal plate for PS2 Slim stand. I do not have any of these but I will put that back in.

I welcome any questions or thoughts on this.

ekdor
    Participant

Link to my family blog progress 1 for this project. There is also a YouTube video there.

DIY Arcade Console – Progress 1
    DIY Arcade Console – Progress 2

ekdor
    Participant

It’s been a real long time since I’ve had time for my own projects. I’ve decided that for now at least this project is on-hold indefinitely unless someone expresses some interest in it.

ekdor
    Participant

Progress liks are no longer active. Sorry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Peoples Projects’ is closed to new topics and replies.