Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Splash screens PS1 styled video splash screen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    synack
    Participant

I didn’t think I’d be working on a video splash screen on the same day that I decided to install RetroPie (on my first RPI device) and get 12 systems configured and running … but here I am. Kudos to the devs and maintainers.

Anyways, here’s my video (yes, I stole the PS1 intro sound idea from smithers).

[video src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23611685/video/rp_ps1.mp4" /]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23611685/video/rp_ps1.mp4

darkesco
    Participant

Awesome! Great job. Now to see if I can figure out how to install a video splash screen.

herbfargus
    darkesco
    Participant

I don’t know what’s going on. It lets me select it. I enabled custom boot splashcreen. But when I run emulationstation I get the usual blue logo on white background. It probably has something to do with this samba shares. I’m not sure what that is but I’m going to mess with it. I also start my RPI2 with a script ti select kodi, emulationstation or commandline so hopefully that’s not the issue. I’ll figure it out.

darkesco
    Participant

I disabled my script. I selected option 1 (Choose Retropie splashscreen) just to test if any splashscreen will work and I always get the default ES splashscreen. And I don’t use samba so I don’t think that has anything to do with it. I’ll look around for a solution.

MRKane
    Participant

You know that crossed my mind also! You’ve just saved me a heap of mucking around synack! Top job :D

zangashtu
    Participant

Anyone help?

After I select the video folder in “Select custom splashscreen” and it says splashscreen set to video, I reboot my Pie and when its booting I notice the code …splashscreens/video not found. If i Winscp to my Pie I find the folder I created deleted. Any suggestions?

robakero
    Participant

I have had all sorts of problems getting *certain* videos to play. I am on a 3.5 clean install. This fantastic PS1 video worked first time. Now that it’s working, I’m leaving everything alone. Here is what I did using Herb’s wiki:

1) Create *folders* in /home/pi/RetroPie/splashscreens

I created 3 folders called PSVideo, InvaderGraphic and MusicVid for the 3 alternatives I have which is a space invader static graphic splash screen and two videos – the amazing PS1 above and a musical one that I found and encoded to MP4 with handbrake.

2) Go to RetroPie setup from Emulationstation and choose configure splash screen

3) Now on a clean install, I chose Enable custom splashscreen on boot.

4) Now choose own splashscreen (option 2)

At this point all of your created folders will appear and you can choose which you want.

The issue that I seem to have is that I cannot work out why some videos will not play even though I have encoded them in every possible combination to MP4 according to the guide. Also, if one doesn’t play then I seem to have an issue where none of the previous working ones will then play. To fix this, you can go to a graphic splash then revert to video and it seems to correct itself. Strangely, when a video doesn’t play, there is a countdown in the boot text as though something is playing / running somewhere.

MRKane
    Participant

I love this idea! I might look at doing something really similar :D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Splash screens’ is closed to new topics and replies.