Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Problems with Sega CD audio

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I’m new to Retropie and the forums, so my apologies if this has already been asked. I’m having some problems with audio for Sega CD roms. I just got the roms to start loading, and the sound that comes from what I assume would be the game itself works, but none of the CD audio works. For example, when I load Snatcher, I get all the sound effects in the menus but the opening video has no sound. Same for Lunar, the opening video has no sound at all, but I get all the in-game sound effects etc. Any idea what the problem could be?

charco
    Participant

Which core are you using? Picodrive? You may have your audio in separate files (wav or mp3) as opposed to everything being in just a bin + cue file for the game. If you have separate files, Picodrive may not have the functionality to play this file type.

I had this issue but changed my default emulator to Genplus GX (it has better sound emulation in any case, whether you have an issue with CD games or not). This resolved the issue for me.

Hope this helps :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not sure how to check/change that, but from what I’ve read Genplus GX is the default emulator if you’re running a Raspberry Pi2, which I am, so I don’t think it’s that. I don’t suppose there’s a handy guide on how to check?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just my two cents, I had a issue with the EU Sonic CD, I had a ton of separate sound files. I had to condense them to a .iso and .cue file in the end for them to work.

charco
    Participant

Again, should work on Genplus GX without that hassle. Hold X on loading a rom to choose the default emulator.

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

Guys, this is actually a simple problem to fix. When you get your ROM files, you’ll also get a .CUE file of the same name. These need to be placed in the ROM directory as well as the emulator uses them to find the music.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alright, so I checked which emulator was running as per your instructions and it was running Picodrive so I changed it, but it still isn’t working. And my ROMs are .iso files with .cue files in the same folder. Again, I am getting in-game sounds, but I’m not getting the CD audio from what I can tell. All other emulators don’t seem to be having problems with audio.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.