Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Problems with scaling/smoothing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    miskatonic
    Participant

Hello, folks, first post here… I’ve asked on the pi forums but no-one ever seems to reply to anything over there unless it’s impenetrably geeky (from what I’ve seen).

I’m a total noob when it comes to using linux but have been using/running emulators and building pc cabs for some time now.

I have retropie up and running fine but I have a few questions that I’d be happy if someone here could answer…

NB: I’m using a pi 2 B and a samsung 1080p tv. Also, I know precious little about linux as I’ve said so any help, well, if you could break it down so an idiot could implement any required steps it would be much appreciated :-)

1) How do I make the games display in their original, blocky glory ? Most if not all of the emulators seem to have some form of filter on the graphics that rounds off pixels and makes things look pretty grim. A lot of detail is lost with this, imo, and sometimes colours look blurry/smudged as a result. How do I turn this off on everything by default, is it possible ?

2) Sometimes when I quit roms there is a crackling/popping from the TV and subsequent roms will load without any sound until I turn the TV on and off again. Has anyone else had this issue, is it something I can fix/stop from happening or is it just “A pi thing” ?

3) With regards to fullscreening roms, what’s the best way to do this to maintain a ratio as close to the original as possible ? Presumably this would create less in the way of vsync issues and suchlike.

4) I seem to have either the top or bottom 10 pixels or so missing from some games, presumably this is linked to issue 3 above but any suggestions as to how to make sure everything is onscreen would be much appreciated.

I will no doubt have some other questions that I just can’t think of right now but it would be great if I could get some help with the ones above to begin with. This is a great device and a great piece of helpful software (retropie) but I’m not that au fait with tweaking such a thing so a little help would be great.

Also, one final thing, (not gfx related) is there a way to “audit” roms for, say, mame in pi so that it removes those where the roms are not correct ? This would be EXTREMELY helpful. I use clrmamepro last night for about 3 hours changing a bunch of roms for advmame and fba and only around 1/2 of them work. Also, there are soooo many duplicates and they all have the same name. Would a “scrape” help this ? My pi is not internet connected, though, so this is difficult for me to do…

Thanks again in advance !

Floob

1) In /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    Change
    video_smooth = true
    to
    video_smooth = false

You may also want to check this

2) Does that happen on another TV – just to compare?

4) Which roms / emulator does that happen in?
    What video output is your TV?

MAME
    This will show you how to validate your roms
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.