Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Possible running Daphne? Monaco GP and G&W simulators?

Tagged: 

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    spaceinvader
    Participant

Hi.

Could it be posible to run Daphne (Laser Disc emulator) to play Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace?

There is a Linux versión, but I don’t know whether it could be run on RPi:
    http://www.daphne-emu.com/download/daphne-1.0beta-linux.tar.gz

On the other hand, Could it be posible to run the Geecab’s Monaco GP simulator and some handheld and game & wath simulators like MadrigalCD and Pica Pic (all programed for Windows)?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=134445.0
    http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/download.php
    http://www.pica-pic.com/

I put the links, perhaps someone could be interested in them for a Windows PC.

mcobit
    Participant

That should very well be possible. I did an arm port some years ago for the OpenPandora.
    Not of 1.0 though but 0.9something.
    It needs some cpu power to decode the mpeg2 stream though what will be hard for a Pi 1 but pretty manageable on a Pi 2.
    If someone can get it to use the hw decoder with the screen overlays it should be easy even for a Pi 1 to decode the video.

You still need to get the vudeofiles and framefiles from the Windows version though as the frontend is written in delphi if I remember correctly and can not easily be ported to arm architecture.

I think I’ll give it a go sometime.

spaceinvader
    Participant

I’ll wait to you give it that go…

Because I have no idea how I could do it.

iesposta
    Participant

I just set up Daphne on my AMD 750MHz Ubuntu.
    It checks if you own the Digital Leisure DVD then downloads/uploads a file P2P so ripping the DVD is not necessary. I would hope to be able to use that video file.
    You can, however, rip your own copy, but it must match exactly so the timing works out.

The creator of Daphne has it working on the original Raspberry Pi using MJPEG and some kind of hardware video acceleration that the Pi has, but he is not releasing any code.

mcobit
    Participant

I got a first version compiled and working on a pi 2. Video is smooth but it crashes from time to time and the inpit doesn’t seem to be responsive all the time. Need to test some more.

Too bad that he got it running already but won’t release a version for the pi.
    I don’t have the knowledge to add a lot to the code. I just hacked it up to get it compiled.

mcobit
    Participant

Probably I could try to convert the OpenGL scaling code to GLES or just use some wrapper. Won’t take the decoding work off of the cpu though.
    Tried GPWorld and it works fine until you start driving. then it will freeze when you reach a certain speed and play again when it slows down. Looks like the Hardware struggles to decode at faster than original speed.
    Will try to get some other game running this evening and rebuild with some more agressive optimisationflags.

Also, if I use resolutions smaller than 1920×1080 the screen will not be in the middle but cut off at the top. But maybe this is just a problem with my setup. Need to get a Pi setup just for developing I think. Using dispmanx-sdl driver to scale up 640×480 to fullscreen in the videohardware could also lead to more performance.

But I’ll check that when I got it more stable.

mcobit
    Participant

OK, OpenGL acceleration is out of the question for now as it needs OpenGL 2.0 what is not supported by glshim.

But the SDL version runs good on the Pi2 with dispmanx SDL.

mcobit
    Participant

If anyone wants to give it a go:
    http://141.2.136.155/daphne-RPI2.tar.bz2

Use the following syntax to run a game:

chmod +x run.sh
    ./run.sh yourgame /full/path/to/your/framefile.txt

See if it works.
    You need to have the dispmanx SDL installed.

iesposta
    Participant

So close.
    After the ROMs load, I get “Could not load VLDP dynamic library!!!”

Do I need to buy the MPEG2 license? (I ordered it anyway).

This is just plain Dragon’s Lair

mcobit
    Participant

No. All software decoded. The library should be next to the binary daphne. Did you use the run.sh script?

Have a look if I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly in it.

It should point to the current directory.

You could also use
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. SDL1_VIDEODRIVER=dispmanx ./daphne yourgame vldp -framefile yourframefile.txt

mcobit
    Participant

I am sorry, forgot to include the library.
    Please redownload and try again!

http://141.2.136.155/daphne-RPI2.tar.bz2

iesposta
    Participant

That works great now!

To get the drawbridge scene back, download the DLE_21 rom, unzip it, duplicate U3, then rename them dl_f2_u1.bin, dl_f2_u2.bin, dl_f2_u3.bin, and the duplicated u3 to dl_f2_u4.bin

Create a folder in daphne /roms/ named lair, set permissions to 777, copy the four .bin files into /lair/ (I set their permissions to 777 also).

When run, it will complain each file’s checksum doesn’t match, then it will go to a black screen, wait, it will beep, then start

mcobit
    Participant

Good to hear that it works. This version is compiled with all neon etc. flags so it probably won’t run on a raspberry pi 1. But as the pi 2 has the cpupower to decode the videostream in software it should run fine on that.
    I can upload my sources if it is desired, so it could be incorporated into the retropieimage. Would be a bit hard to get it set up with all the different files etc. but might work.

The DaphneLoader cannot be used on the pi unfortunately, but copying the files from your Desktop machine should do the trick.

Edit: Reencoding the videofile(s) to lower bitrate and/or resolution could bring a potential speedup and might not be so heavy on sdcard-readspeed.
    Also I could try to use tremor instead of vorbis to read the audiofiles.

Also, there seems to be a newer revision of libmpeg2 as the one used in vldp2. That one seems to have some arm optimisations. Will try to include that tomorrow to see if it can bring more speed and will not be so heavy on the cpu.

iesposta
    Participant

The original Daphne coder managed to get it running on the earlier Raspberry Pi using OpenMAX and GLES2 to decode video JPEG.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?uid=31303&f=33&t=57721&start=0

http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com.es/2013/06/more-optimizations-required.html#comment-form

Too much for me to follow or compile! :)

mcobit
    Participant

Yes, I’ve read that. But as long as he does not release his work, we might have to live with what we got.
    Apart from some simple optimisations all of that is over my head.

If somebody else is actually able to reimplement this, it would be really nice.
    But that’s not me.

iesposta
    Participant

[quote=91113]Yes, I’ve read that. But as long as he does not release his work, we might have to live with what we got.
    Apart from some simple optimisations all of that is over my head.

If somebody else is actually able to reimplement this, it would be really nice.
    But that’s not me.
    [/quote]
    Ah, when you said about reencoding the video to make it easier on the CPU I remembered that is what was done to get it running on the older Pi, and maybe you hadn’t read that.
    I’m still impressed you quickly compiled it working and impressed with what this Pi 2 can do even without optimised source code.

spaceinvader
    Participant

My English is not too good, nor my technic and programming knowledges, so summarizing:

It is posible to run it on the old PIs, only on the new PI2 or it is not posible at all?

If it is possible, could someone make a step by step guide to install it? It would be great!

Thanks!

iesposta
    Participant

[quote=91539]My English is not too good, nor my technic and programming knowledges, so summarizing:

It is posible to run it on the old PIs, only on the new PI2 or it is not posible at all?

If it is possible, could someone make a step by step guide to install it? It would be great!

Thanks!
    [/quote]

Only new PI2.
    I posted my command line string for in the .sh script, but when I edited it the forum deleted the whole post… Twice!

spaceinvader
    Participant

Could you send me it by PM or email? For the momento I do not have the new PI2 but I am planning to buy one soon!

Regarding the Monaco GP and the Game&Watch simulators, there is nothing to do with them in the PI, Yes?

iesposta
    Participant

This is my command line for in your run.sh script for my preferred Dragon’s Lair gameplay:
    ./daphne $1 vldp -framefile $2 -nohwaccel -nocrc -noissues -nolog -noserversend -latency 950 -x 640 -y 480 -bank 1 00110111 -bank 0 10011000
    (Remember this is for Dragon’s Lair and its ROMs 2.1, renamed so this version runs with them.)

I don’t know if I like the blank seeking or not. You would have to add -blank_searches and/or -blank_skips for the emulation to blank like the original.

My first arcade experience must have been a prototype machine in the US (Pennsylvania) because it definitely had the drawbridge scene.

iesposta
    Participant

[quote=91557]Could you send me it by PM or email? For the momento I do not have the new PI2 but I am planning to buy one soon!

Regarding the Monaco GP and the Game&Watch simulators, there is nothing to do with them in the PI, Yes?
    [/quote]
    If you’ve set it up before on Windows or Linux, I can help.
    Do you have the m2v/ogg video/audio file?

What is posted above is just the Daphne emulator.
    You also need the correct game ROMs AND the laser disk video files, either converted from the original laser disk, or from Digital Leisure DVDs (having Dapnhne verify these DVDs in your Windows/Linux computer’s DVD drive lets you download the correct video/audio files without having to rip and resequenced the actual DVD), or remastered and resequenced from the HD re-release into compatible video (m2v) and audio (ogg) format.

In other words, that step is quite complicated.

Once you have the proper game video/audio, the set up is simple.

spaceinvader
    Participant

Actually I have never installed Daphne, neither in windows, nor linux.

So I am very confused…

Roo
    Participant

How are y’all getting this working? I get:

pi@retropie /opt/retropie/emulators/daphne $ ./daphne lair vldp -framefile /opt/retropie/emulators/daphne/framefiles/lair.txt -noserversend
    ./daphne: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisidec.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried various solutions for installing libvorbisidec.so.1 but nothing has worked so far…

iesposta
    Participant

Use the following syntax to run a game:

chmod +x run.sh
    ./run.sh yourgame /full/path/to/your/framefile.txt
    Works for me.
    I have run lair and lair2.

You need to have the dispmanx SDL installed.

Roo
    Participant

Thanks for the help!

run.sh gives me the same error.

I’ve looked around but haven’t figured this out – how exactly do i install dispmanx SDL?

orbian
    Participant

I think you want:
    sudo apt-get install libvorbisidec1

caver01
    Participant

I am trying to reproduce this success on another Pi gaming distro but I am running into a library error–this time it wants libGLEW.so.1.7 (it already wanted the vorbis library which I installed).

QUESTION: Is there a similar “sudo apt-get install” command that I might use to get past this?

I guess another way to ask this is: What’s unique about RetroPie with respect to GLEW that is allowing Daphne to launch, and is this a potentially deep rabbit hole of OpenGL support? Or, (fingers crossed) is it a fairly straightforward dependency I can resolve without breaking other things?

Thanks!

caver01
    Participant

Better or worse, I simply installed libGLEW to get this working on PiPlay:

sudo apt-get install libglew1.7

However, I notice that Space Ace runs slower than it does on RetroPie. Not sure why yet.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.