Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Please Help with Joystick issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    darkheart1984
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time. I am a total noob, like less than a week having my raspberry pi 2. I am running the newest retropie beta for the pi 2. Everything works fine with my ps3 controller. But my project for the arcade cabinet is the goal. Got my joystick set up from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Player-USB-mame-arcade-parts-kit-includes-2-joysticks-16-Happ-buttons-/171068993508

figured going off other plans would work great. Plug everything up as a test and configure with the emulastionstaion everthing seemed to be working up, down, left and so on. Went to the menu in retropie for the retroarch joystick config did the same thing. Went to launch NES mario bro. and nothing. I can hit one button and it makes me jump. Joystick does not let me move. I can also pause and exit using a two button combo to get back to emulations station. So WTF. tried a different emulator same thing. I tried MAME and was able to map the joystick and buttons to play galaga and worked left,right, and fire. So exited and went back to NES, see at the bottom it still sees the controller, and still can only jump.

So any help would be greatly appreciated, I tried google last night for about four hours and saw some similar issues or for all I know the exact issue and I just don’t see it, because I am a total noob. Not sure if I have the newest version 4, I believe its 3 but some of the commands I tried last night could of updated maybe not sure. The reason I am also using the beta ver is I could not get the 2.6 one to work with my wifi and read that the beta had a idiot proof setup. If you can help can u please dumb it way down for me

Thanks

darkheart1984
    Participant

Not sure if it matters, just read something that I may have to unplug my keyboard to get it to work?? Can’t test that yet but will when I get home.

herbfargus

You shouldn’t have to run the retroarch-joyconfig from the retropie menu anymore with the latest beta as that is done automagically when you configure your controller with emulationstation. Its possible there may have been an issue with hat/axis support depending on which controller you’re using and some of those things have been fixed since the beta was released. You can try and see if the fixes work by updating your setup script (and exiting out and going back into the setup script) and then reinstall emulationstation from menu 5. The reboot and reconfigure your controller with emulationstation again and see if that fixes it.

darkheart1984
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure I under stand the instructions I shoud:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install git

Then,

cd
    git clone –depth=1 https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup.git

Then,

cd RetroPie-Setup
    chmod +x retropie_setup.sh
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

Is this correct?

How do I reinstall emulationstation from menu 5?

Sorry for my ignores

herbfargus

That’s a rather lengthy setup script update… In the retropie menu in emulation station there is an option called retropie setup script- open that and choose update retropie setup script. Then exit out of the script and go back into it so it registers the updates. Then go to option 5 and choose emulation station- once that finishes compiling reboot your pi and you will be prompted to configure your controller again as you did before.

darkheart1984
    Participant

I believe I did what you suggested, I went to the retropie menu and update the script which took a while. I let it do its thing rebooted, and had to configure my controller to do anything. Was able to move around and try a test on the nes emulator, still same issue. I could jump and pause, and exit the game via hot keys. But that is all.

I did find a reddit post about hitting F1 and opening a menu and going to settings and I was able to config the joystick from there to work and save. exited and the configuration was still there. But only for that game. In the post it had a paragraph about writing down that configuration save name so I could post it to all NES games with in the emulator. Tried and tried through the command line $ to get it to work but got a error permission denied

at the command line I would type this

$ /opt/retropie/configs/nes

But get the denied permission, And I guess I really need to download WinSCP and try to figure that out

herbfargus

Are you sure you chose the correct option? Updating the setup script shouldn’t take very long at all. Installing emulationstation would take a bit though. Press x or m as the ROM loads and change the default emulator to see if the issue is emulator specific.

darkheart1984
    Participant

I am pretty sure I followed your directions correctly, of maybe not noob after all. I tried messing with it a little last night and scrolling through the nes emulator all the games where mapped the same way now. Not sure what I did however. I followed that one reddit post about adjust the keys within the game itself and to safe that config to change “/opt/retropie/config/nes” But I always get permission denied. Tried things to get around that but no luck on changing the retroarch.cfg file. But some how all the nes roms work

Tried to recreat one snes nothing can change in game safe copy down the file name. Exit, reenter the rom and nothing is saved. Go to the command line and try same issue permission denied

darkheart1984
    Participant

Should I be typing cd /opt/retropie/configs/nes to get to where I am needing to go because I have not been typing the cd part

and when I type ls I want to say it says in purple that I am in Retropie-Setip maybe sorry at work can’t remember

what is the back out command to get out of a directory

darkheart1984
    Participant

issue resolved thanks to feederchains help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.