Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project PiSNES Controller Configuration — What the hell?!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    deaftolight
    Participant

For some odd reason, there seems to be absolutely NO documentation for how to set up the controllers for PiSNES. In the snes9x.cfg, nothing seems to make sense.

In the following snes9x.cfg file, and what is do the QUIT=99, ACCEL=7, QLOAD=10, QSAVE=11 button mappings refer to?

What is 99 for an SNES gamepad? I still managed to quit the game with select+start, but I don’t know how 99 would refer to that button combo. Select+ L quickloaded, and Select+R quicksaved. But L and R are 4 and 5 for my controller, respectively… I don’t see the connection with 10 and 11.

[Keyboard]
    # Get codes from /usr/include/SDL/SDL_keysym.h
    A_1=100
    B_1=99
    X_1=115
    Y_1=120
    L_1=97
    R_1=102
    START_1=13
    SELECT_1=9
    LEFT_1=276
    RIGHT_1=275
    UP_1=273
    DOWN_1=274
    QUIT=27
    ACCEL=8

[Joystick]
    # Get codes from "jstest /dev/input/js0"
    # from package "joystick"
    A_1=1
    B_1=2
    X_1=0
    Y_1=3
    L_1=4
    R_1=5
    START_1=9
    SELECT_1=8
    QUIT=99
    ACCEL=7
    QLOAD=10
    QSAVE=11
    #Joystick axis
    JA_LR=0
    JA_UD=1

# Get codes from "jstest /dev/input/js1"
    # from package "joystick"
    A_2=13
    B_2=14
    X_2=12
    Y_2=15
    L_2=10
    R_2=11
    zsprawl
    Participant

When you set a function to 99, it allow the following:
    – Pressing SELECT and L1 will allow you to load state.
    – Pressing SELECT and R1 will allow you to save state.
    – Pressing SELECT and START will allow you to quit the emulator.

QUIT=99
    QLOAD=99
    QSAVE=99
    deaftolight
    Participant

Thanks. Where did you find that information? I can’t find anything that explains how mapping to 99 enables those hotkey combinations. If there are more codes like 99 that refer to different button combinations, I’d really like to know so I can take advantage and best customize a particular controller setup.

Also, I don’t understand how 99 would map to all three of those combinations. In fact, QLOAD and QSAVE weren’t 99. By default, ACCEL was set to 7, the QLOAD was set to 10, and the QSAVE was set to 11. I left those, and I was still able to load with select + L and save with select + R. I couldn’t figure out what the CFG thinks 7 is to accelerate. This was with an SNES USB controller. I’m just trying to make sense of this all.

waddupbeazt
    Participant

I’m bumping this because of same issue. I can’t find documentation to map my xbox 360 controller to SNES.

If someone have a ready-to-go-configuration file for Xbox 360 wired that I can use in SNES please contact me.

I may be blind, I’m aware of that :)

deaftolight
    Participant

You can get the button mappings by running jstest. /dev/input/jstest js0 (if the 360 controller is the only one plugged in), then figure out your key mappings. I saw on zsprawl’s blog he used these for his 360 controller:

A_1=0
    B_1=1
    X_1=2
    Y_1=3
    L_1=4
    R_1=5
    START_1=7
    SELECT_1=6
    QUIT=99
    ACCEL=11
    QLOAD=10
    QSAVE=8
    #Joystick axis
    JA_LR=0
    JA_UD=1

I’m still really hoping someone can explain the 99 and other hotkey mappings, though. I even e-mailed the developer in the hopes that he could explain it.

zsprawl
    Participant

On the Pisnes page, all the way at the bottom, there are patch notes. I only guessed the 99 setting when I saw that QUIT was set to that by default. It works great though! :)

zsprawl
    Participant

Come to think of it, pisnes is based on snes9x, so I bet they might have documentation for you.

deaftolight
    Participant

Yeah, I had tried looking into that hoping to find something, but no. I also tried to look into mame configuration files, as in the piSNES readme it says

snes9x.cfg -> MAME configuration file, limited support to only the options in the supplied file (not the full MAME settings).

I’ve even looked through various includes and SDL stuff, but to no avail. The only reason I’ve been wasting all this time is because I really want to bind a hotkey combination for fast forward. I was unable to get this working in Retroarch… there’s another thread on this (https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/retroarch-cfg-fast-forward-help/), but no one here was able to answer. Hopefully somebody will figure out something.

waddupbeazt
    Participant

Hi,

With the controller pasted above in the snes config I can only use A and X as “hit” buttons.

The B and Y is load / save state. Is that setup for the NES and not SNES ?

nolageek
    Participant

Anyone have PiSNES controller config for the the f310? The RetroArch SNES eumulator looked horrible on my screen(s), very blocky and lo-res. Couldn’t figure out how to get it to use the correct resolution (tried a bunch of things from the forum..)

Floob

[quote=81564]Anyone have PiSNES controller config for the the f310? The RetroArch SNES eumulator looked horrible on my screen(s), very blocky and lo-res. Couldn’t figure out how to get it to use the correct resolution (tried a bunch of things from the forum..)[/quote]

Are you tempted to use shaders?

nolageek
    Participant

deleting

j2k15
    Participant

Hi,

Does someone has a documentation about the PiSNES config file ?

I understood that we should run the joystick test utility to grab the value for each key of the controller.

However I’d like to know :
    1) How to configure 2 controllers ?
    Is e.g A_1 = … and A_2 = … the way to do ?
    2) Can we have in the config file several key mapping and link each of them to a controller type ? So just like how RetroArch registered controllers are working…
    3) Do you have a clear explanation of hotkeys settings ?

I hope a kind of Wiki or readme file does exist but I have not found it…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.