Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project pifba broken / NeoGeo not working in 2.3

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    randalicioso
    Participant

After reading literally the whole forum, I came to the conclusion pifba NeoGeo emulator is broken in RetroPie 2.3. I have tested three different sets of BIOS (in every directory available) and different ROMS as well, only to get “segmentation fault” errors while launching the ROMS.

Has anyone managed to at least find out why those errors are happening?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

works fine for me

Floob

Does this help you?

randalicioso
    Participant

Thanks Floob but no. Already checked and nothing.

InsecureSpike, 2.3? Checked loads of BIOS and I’m using pifba. If anyone here can confirm their installation is working, can you post the exact file size size in bytes of neogeo.zip, and, for example, their metalslug 1 zip rom? (Or post the sources).

Floob

Hi,

You can see the exact fiel size of the neogeo.zip in the video – the romset there works fine for me in the RetroPie 2.3 binaries of fba for the pi.

randalicioso
    Participant

Though I already did, will double check and prompt back with that exact bios.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am having this same problem. I load up a rom. There is an occasional yellow loading bar. Then black screen.

I can usually escape the black screen, after which there is a screen saying there is a segmentation fault

patrick500
    Participant

Hi,
    I was in the same situation.
    But finally I have found the right neogeo.zip file, because at the end of the day, several versions exist.
    In addition to that, I have followed the (very good) video from Floob and copy the neogeo.zip file in the 3 locations :
    • /opt/retropie/emulators/pifba
    • my default bios folder
    • inside the neogeo roms folder (where the roms are located)

To define a default bios folder, I have changed in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg, the parameter: System_directory
    System_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/BIOS
    Now the BIOS folder store all bios files for all emulators.

In addition to that, you have to find the right version of the NEOGEO roms. Some games don’t work even if the version seems to be the right one.

About the segmentation error, just a few of the roms have got it, but anyway, it works.

vasilisrk
    Participant

Does anyone know how the high scores on pifba work???????

Thanks in advance…

trumad
    Participant

After two days of this not working for me, I realised I had the permissions set wrong on neogeo.zip. I had been copying them to the SD Card as root user from my linux laptop – so FBA wasn’t able to read or open the bios file. I changed all the permissions on the entire roms folder to 777 and it started to work fine! Neo Turf Masters now works!

This forum post has more info:

MAME (and Neo Geo) Permissions

patrick500
    Participant

Hi Trumad,
    yes for sure, I advise you to apply/check permissions after pasting a rom file.
    You can do it easily with an FTP client like FileZila.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.