Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Pi2 full compatibility with emulation of fifth-generation consoles?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    flow
    Participant

Hey!

I got a question for the pi2 owners on this forum.
    I am considering to buy a pi2 but before i do that i want to make sure that there is a full compatibility for fifth-gen consoles. I grew up with the n64 and the playstation and i would love to play those old games again.

There is not a lot of information about how well the emulation of fifth-gen consoles are compatible.
    Is there anyone out there who tested this?

Could any pi2 owner confirm that at least the following games are fully supported and 100% playable, Please?
    Nintendo 64:
    – Donkey Kong 64
    – Goldeneye 007
    – Mario Kart
    – Mario Party [all versions]
    – Super Smash bros
    – Tom Clancy Rainbow Six
    – Mortal Combat [all versions]

Playstation:
    – Dukes of Hazzard
    – Grand theft auto [all version]
    – The Italian Job
    – James Bond 007 [all versions]
    – Mega Men [all versions]
    – Mortal Combat [all versions]
    – Ray Man [all versions]
    – Resident Evil [all versions]
    – Worms [all versions]

Roo
    Participant

If you want guaranteed compatibility you should by a real n64 and a playstation, emulation doesn’t work like that.

That said, it looks very promising that n64 and psx work well on the Pi2 and be playable at full speed. The Pi2 has been out a week, RetroPie is in major flux, with regular updates to fix bugs and improve performance. If dropping $35 to try for yourself is concern, I suggest you wait a month or two.

Floob

Some N64 game videos on the Pi here:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Give it a few months for the emulators to be optimised for the Pi 2 (not just compiled with ARMv7 and NEON flags). It’s only been out a week or two.

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

Pretty much all PSX games are running great; some audio hitches here and there. This performance is out-of-the-box, no settings tweaks, overclocks or memory adjustments. I don’t doubt you’ll be able to get 100% with the right settings.

N64 emulation is a different story – understand that N64 emulation isn’t that great even on Windows with powerful PCs.

The new build comes with two emulators for N64; each which get different results depending on the game you try. I’ve tried a couple of games (Kirby, Mario) with the Retroarch N64 emulator on the Pi2, (again, stock settings) and they worked very well.

As Barryk above notes, this system (the Pi2) is brand-new and there isn’t a completed build for it yet. The current version is essentially a beta. You can wait a while if you’re not confident.

Personally I firmly recommend the Pi2. I think it’s fantastic.

zanmaru
    Participant

Ok. Thanks to another video of Floob I finally got many games working. I used the Rice plugin, cause I can’t get some games to run with gles. However, it uses more resources… So some games are really slow.

There are two settings I used, one run almost every games (all those I tried), but it’s slow for a lot a them, and the other works better for some of those games, but doesn’t run the others…

If you set ScreenUpdateSetting to 3 in /opt/retropie/configs/n64/mupen64plus.cfg and change the plugin /opt/retropie/emulators/mupen64plus/lib/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-video-n64.so with the rice plugin which is in the same folder (just rename it mupen64plus-video-n64.so), those games will work :
    – The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time
    – Super Smash Bros
    – Mario Kart
    – Super Mario

If you set it to 5 you’ll get Golden Eye to work too… But imo it’s not playable and the other games will be too slow.

I tried to overclock my pi, but it doesn’t seem to do anything, so using the “modest” setting in raspi-config is enough I think. Other than that… My memory split is set to 128 (GPU).

If you got Zelda working better, tell me. ;)

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

Zanmaru: Use the “Pi2” overclock. The other overclock settings only apply to the Pi1. You’ll actually be running it slower if you use any other setting!

whywilson1
    Participant

[quote=87563]Zanmaru: Use the “Pi2″ overclock. The other overclock settings only apply to the Pi1. You’ll actually be running it slower if you use any other setting![/quote]

I have a Pi2 and was curious about the Overclock settings.
    What is the actual default setting for the RI2? Is it the max setting displayed at the bottom?

Also I haven’t had much luck getting N64 games to work. I’ve watched Floobs video on the topic a few times, made some changes here and there but most games don’t get past the start screen. Those that do play horrendously, are out of sync etc etc. I guess I’ll just wait for an update.

Any idea on whether or not there will be an update to better serve N64 and PSX games?

zanmaru
    Participant

neighbourhoodnerd: Weird. I didn’t notice any significant improvement for n64 emulation using the “Pi 2” overclock, that’s why I only use the “modest” one…

whywilson1 : Did you try the 2.5.0 version? I just copied/pasted the n64 configs and emulators folders on my previous microSD, and did what I mentionned above, and some games work decently (Super Smash Bros for exemple).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does smash bros actually work? I had it working prior to me doing updates to the emulators BUT once I got to level 2 it slowed down to unplayable conditions. First level is indeed completely fine but when there were many characters on the screen (Yoshi level so at least 4) then it wasn’t playable.

I’m hoping it is indeed fixed but the only demonstration I have seen of SB is not past the first level (which indeed works perfectly fine). I get a new SD card today and plan to put on 2.5 so I’d be curious to know :)

PSX games appear to be working very well. I’ve tried maybe 8 or so and they all work fine, most without any issues whatsoever.

whywilson1
    Participant

[quote=87633]neighbourhoodnerd: Weird. I didn’t notice any significant improvement for n64 emulation using the “Pi 2″ overclock, that’s why I only use the “modest” one…

whywilson1 : Did you try the 2.5.0 version? I just copied/pasted the n64 configs and emulators folders on my previous microSD, and did what I mentionned above, and some games work decently (Super Smash Bros for exemple).
    [/quote]

Well I used Buzz img file, but then I updated the Binaries. And I have no idea what version of RetroPie I’m actually running now 2.5 or his version still.

whywilson1
    Participant

Finally figured out how to configure my controller for the N64, got a couple of games working too. MarioKart 64 looks pretty good, just some random black boxes here and there.

caseyjames
    Participant

All the games you mentioned work except for mk trilogy for n64.I have tested all of these myself!Go with mk for mame,then you get the arcade version not some shity port!

gentlemanfinn
    Participant

This may be a stupid question, but did you chance the ram size?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.