Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Pi Never Reboots After Installing Retro Pi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mapper65
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new to Retro Pi and after two weeks of messing with this on and off I have never been able to successfully reboot the Pi once everything is installed. I can get the system up and running and I can get my ROMs installed and I can play games. Anytime I try and quit and disconnect the power it will never start back up again.

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 2 with an iBuffalo Classic USB Game Pad. I’ve tried using an 8gb SanDisk card and also a 32gb card. Since it seems like everyone else but me can get this to run successfully it has to be something I’m doing but I just can’t figure out what it could be. Surely this can’t be that difficult. I seriously have re-loaded this 10 times. I’m getting tired of re-imaging the card and starting all over again only to end up back in the same spot with the Pi appearing as though it’s bricked. I’ve never tried a second Pi with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mapper65
    Participant

I probably should have mentioned that if I reboot, it reboots. If I quit and unplug the power, it never starts back up again. Sorry for the misleading title.

shoothere
    Participant

So you have tried with 2 different SD cards from what you mention?

Are they class 10 cards?

mapper65
    Participant

Yes, SanDisk Ultra Class 10. It’s only when I select Shutdown System that it never reboots again. When I power it back up, it looks like the card is being accessed but nothing ever shows up on the monitor.

mapper65
    Participant

Ok, I FINALLY figured it out after two weeks of messing with it!!!!

I found a page that went into details about the config.txt file. I tried uncommenting a bunch of stuff out one at a time and the only line that allowed me to finally get an image when I commented t out was:

# hdmi_safe=1

That line is for:

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default “safe” mode

That got me thinking. I’ve been using an HDMI to VGA adapter so that I could use my Pi 2 with a VGA computer monitor. There is a micro USB input power connection on this adapter. I’ve NEVER put power on that connection in the weeks that I’ve been using it for setting up OSMC boxes and other Pi applications and it’s worked fine. I just took power off of my Pi 2, added power to the adapter and powered up the Pi 2 and it boots up fine now with the above line remarked out again.

What a strange one. Case closed!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.