Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Overlays for Retro Pie Per System

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    missposhosho
    Participant

Hi,

I wanted to achieve two objectives.

1. Setup an overlay for SNES, N64, Atari & Megadive on a per console basis.
    2. Setup overlays for MAME on a per game basis. Using these overlays.

In regards to objective one I found a Youtube video by Floob which also references a post on these forums which may help with objective one. Can anyone point me in the direction of this post i.e Setting up overlays on a per system basis.

In regards to objective 2 I understand that MAME4ALL is likely the most reliable source of ROMS on retro pie (I had previous problems getting Mame Roms to work at all). With this in mind I believe those overlays in objective 2 have been created to use Retroarch (Liberto not Mame4all). Is there a way to get them working with Mame4all?

Any help greatly appreciated as I am unable to progress my build without this information.

Thanks in advance.

dankcushions
    Participant

you can set up overlays on a per core basis by adding the overlay configuration to:
    /opt/retropie/configs/SYSTEMNAME/retroarch.cfg

you can set up overlays on a per-game basis by adding the overlay configuration to
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/SYSTEMNAME/gamename.zip.cfg (not all systems used zipped game files, but you get the idea)

the actual overlay configuration would depend on your overlay image, location, resolution, etc.

In regards to objective 2 I understand that MAME4ALL is likely the most reliable source of ROMS on retro pie (I had previous problems getting Mame Roms to work at all). With this in mind I believe those overlays in objective 2 have been created to use Retroarch (Liberto not Mame4all). Is there a way to get them working with Mame4all?

the link objective 2 already has the config files needed included in the zip, but they’re likely for current libretro mame, not the older version we use (lr-mame2003). i imagine the config would be the same but something to consider…

also, i don’t agree mame4all is the most reliable (limited rom set), although it is good if you only have a pi1, i suppose. if you want to use overlays you will need to use the libretro version of it (lr-imame4all), in any case. the other version of mame4all is not libretro and and does not support overlays.

missposhosho
    Participant

Thanks so much for this! I will have a play with everything and let you know how I get on!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.