Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Overclocking the Raspberry Pi 3: Optimising for RetroPie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    retroresolution
    Participant

Further to my earlier series of blog posts on overclocking the Raspberry Pi (specifically the Pi 2), I’ve written up my experiences of overclocking the new Raspberry Pi 3.
    As the new machine tends to run much hotter than the Pi 2 (at least my system does), overclocking has to take into account the thermal governor, and it’s underclocking behaviour.
    In my new blog post I look at overclocking with a view to tuning the system mainly to run RetroPie 3.6 (I finally made the jump from RetroPie 2, and am very happy with the changes!)
    Overclocking the Raspberry Pi 3: Thermal Limits and Optimising for Single vs Multicore Performance

fistwielder
    Participant

What are your final complete overclock settings you ended up settling on for the Raspberry Pi 3?

drakaen391
    Participant

Wondering the same… And are you using any cooling system (heat sink/fan)

dankcushions
    Participant

it’s all in the link at the end of their post, which you might have missed as this forum doesn’t highlight/underline urls, for some baffling reason…

zerojay
    Participant

I read the link. I still don’t know what the final conclusions are.

dankcushions
    Participant

“After a great many tests, in a large number of combinations, my machine appears to be stable with the following settings:

Raspberry Pi 3 Stable Overclock Values
    arm_freq=1350
    core_freq=500
    over_voltage=4”

raymate
    Participant

[quote=121630]“After a great many tests, in a large number of combinations, my machine appears to be stable with the following settings:

Raspberry Pi 3 Stable Overclock Values
    arm_freq=1350
    core_freq=500
    over_voltage=4”

[/quote]

Its all a bit hit and miss on the Pi3 I was using settings basically the same and I started to get corruption and now no boot, lucky I backed my Retropie setup before I started to play.

Before messing with the over clock on pi3 backup up first or use a old card for testing. It seems not as simple as with Pi2 and Pi1, this maybe why in the official overclock menu it says no overclock available.

drakaen391
    Participant

I know the Pi foundation has said heat sinks are required for overclocking the pi3…

Could that have been an issue with the corruption?

raymate
    Participant

[quote=121644]I know the Pi foundation has said heat sinks are required for overclocking the pi3…

Could that have been an issue with the corruption?

[/quote]

In my case I don’t think so I have a fan running on it, it does not seem to go over mid 50s

pausuri
    Participant

Anyone know how to overclock the Pi3 in Retropie 3.6 running under Berryboot?

drakaen391
    Participant

So ran a test on my system over clocked at 1300 currently and the hottest it got was 48c but only on heavy moments…

CPU at most hit 60%

I will say I have a custom built case with a wind tunnel type cooling system and heat sinks in the CPU and GPU

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.