Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    whoismezero
    Participant

Does RetroPie have an official logo? If so, where can I find it?

Can we compile a list of images that have to do with RetroPie or EmulationStation for use when creating new/custom splash screens?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Until now there is not really an official logo. However, it would be nice to have one, I think. If someone feels to donate a logo, that would be great.
    We must make sure, however, that the logo does not break any copyright or trademark rules, e.g., from the Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/).

weddi.eddy
    Participant

What did you have in mind? I’ve created some logos in the past for various apps and other things.

weddi.eddy
    Participant

Enghh… I got curious so I did some messing around. I took the pie slice idea you had on your rotating images and used that to based an icon around. Tell me what you think. I have the vector for this icon.

weddi.eddy
    Participant

Some variations.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I like the idea of using the pie. However, am not 100% convinced of the mix of pixel art and smooth lines.

Recently, I have ordered some decals. Maybe that might also give some inspirations.

weddi.eddy
    Participant

The problem with the decal is that you don’t want people to think you’re ripping off pacman (plus any copyright issues along with it). I have created two more concept logos.

As for the slogan, ‘bet you can’t eat it’ doesn’t really make much sense for retropie. Something like, “Unleash your true gamer” or “Rescue the princess again” would be more suitable. Just my opinion.

Tell me what you think.

Edit: Also as a side note, the 8-bit full pie image has 3 white smoke wisps above it in 8-bit as well. They don’t show up on the white background. I can remove these.

chito
    Participant

I like the logo used in the default splashscreen. I think it sits well with the other logos and looks clean and smart. Anyway i quickly created these ones before the site went down. never got to upload them.

I used coloured squares in the pie slice to give it that retro feel. im thinking though the colour gradient may need more differences between each colour.. anyway just getting some ideas out there.

one thing to note is that there are alot of raspberry pi projects out there that will or are going for the pie(food) angle.

chito
    Participant

just thought of an even simpler version which would still convey the idea. all in that raspberry red

herbfargus

@petrockblog

I really liked the mushberry concept: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/mushberry/

Is there a specific set of stipulations that you have for the logo other than trademarks with the raspberry pi? (which btw would mushberry be too close to the real logo to be a viable option?)

What are the aspects you are looking for?

-8-16 bit pixelated vs. true color vectors?
    -concept of a pie vs a variation of the raspberry pi logo?
    -should it have a slogan?

I have some friends that are good artists and I’d like to work on some logos with them to submit. Some general perametres would be useful to us and the community to give us an idea of what will work best.

Once enough logos are submitted I think it would be cool to have a contest or vote of sorts through the forum to establish the official RetroPie logo.

chito
    Participant

as long as you can submit more than one! ive got a few ideas i would like to flesh out if this is actually going to become a thing

chito
    Participant

also i think the logo should encompass retro gaming and be generic enough that it doesn’t resemble or promote any one type of system. the mushberry is obviously too nintendo. Characters and mascots should be avoided. clichés or obvious stuff should also be avoided.

Logo tips
    A logo must be simple. A simple logo design allows for easy recognition and allows the logo to be versatile and memorable. Effective logos feature something unexpected or unique without being overdrawn.

A logo must be memorable. Following closely behind the principle of simplicity is that of memorability. An effective logo design should be memorable and this is achieved by having a simple yet appropriate logo.

A logo must be enduring. An effective logo should endure the test of time. The logo should be ‘future proof’, meaning that it should still be effective in 10, 20, 50+ years time.

A logo must be versatile. An effective logo should be able to work across a variety of mediums and applications. light/dark backgrounds, screen and print, full colour/balck and white etc

A logo must be appropriate. colours, fonts etc should be appropriate for its intended purpose and target audience.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.