Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just did a fresh install from source and updated the setup script and SNES9X-Next is nowhere to be found. I heard this is the best SNES emulator for the pi2. I read elsewhere that this emulator was no longer considered experimental and would be under the regular emulator page, but I am not seeing it there. Can someone help please?

texasliberal
    Participant

if someone could provide the dumbed-down scripts for obtaining/installing the emulator manually from github that would be awesome.

herbfargus

scroll further down in the set up script for installing individual emulators- it is titled:
    lr-snes9x-next.

This video goes step by step if there is any doubt.

texasliberal
    Participant

ok, I scanned through it several times, but I’ll check again when i get home. Thanks

taalas
    Participant

If you have done a fresh install I would suggest that after updating the setup script you do a binary installation (which is then actually an update in your case). Not only will you get lr-snes9x-next as the default SNES emulator, you also will get the updated mechanic to choose emulators per system/rom by pressing “x” or “m” when starting a rom.

texasliberal
    Participant

Still no joy. I tried installing from binaries. I watched the vid and I don’t have all those emulators that start with lr. My list is no where near that long.

herbfargus

That is odd. I’m not sure why it would do that. I guess if all else fails there is always running from a fresh SD image as inconvenient as that may be…

texasliberal
    Participant

I will try and compile from source again tonight with a fresh image. :/

herbfargus

You shouldn’t necessarily need to compile from source- you can get all the functionality you need from the 2.6 SD image https://www.petrockblock.com/retropie/retropie-downloads/download-info/retropie-sd-card-image-for-rpi-version-2/

I just did it yesterday, updated the script, and did a full binary install and everything worked swimmingly. Took no longer than an hour tops.

Then if you want specific emulators compiled from source such as mupen64plus-testing you can do that afterwards. That way you’ll at least know everything else is functioning as well as saving you a lot of time. But to each their own . Just my two cents :)

texasliberal
    Participant

Good point. I will try that. Will report back. Thanks!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Some information regarding building from source:

Plenty of the emulators are not updated too often – and the source is a static archive – so there is no newer version from building from source.

building things like retroarch and some libretro cores will get you the very latest code, but also the very latest bugs too (was broken on the pi for a period recently).

The binaries are updated quite often.

:)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.