Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Non-Scraper to link Images to Games

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rookervik
    Participant

“Make XML”

Note:

** Do not use this on your MAME or any other arcade gamelist.

This batch file creates a gamelist for a single system at a time and only links images to that xml. No Scraping. For use on RetroPie 3.0 (perhaps later) directory structure. This batch file works in Windows. It must be run from cmd.exe (command line). It requires you to have a folder on your PC with all of the roms you want to link images to. The images need to have the same name (minus file extension) as the roms.
    example: Starfox.zip needs Starfox.png
    Super Mario RPG.zip needs Super Mario RPG.png

Instructions:

1) Decide what system you would like to generate a gamelist for. On your Raspberry Pi, enter that rom directory (/home/pi/Retropie/rom/<system>) and create a folder named “images”.
    example: /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pcengine/images

2) On your PC, copy the ‘makexml.bat’ file to the folder containing all of the roms that you copied to your Raspberry Pi. Ensure the files are named exactly as they are on your Raspberry Pi. Make sure no additional files are in that folder. Such as ram states and save states.

3) Enter a command line (Windows Key + R, type cmd, press enter) and browse to the folder the roms are located.
    Useful commands: dir=directory listing, cd=change directory, c:, d:, e:, etc= change drive focus

4) Once in a command line and inside the folder containing the roms and the makexml.bat, type “makexml <system>”
    example: makexml pcengine
    makexml snes
    makexml megadrive

5) Exit EmulationStation on your Raspberry Pi. If you do not, EmulationStation will overwrite the new gamelist.xml. Then copy this gamelist.xml to your Raspberry Pi (do not use sudo) to the /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/<system> folder.

Note: I would personally back-up the gamelist.xml that is in that folder before you overwrite it.

6) Type “exit” on your Raspberry Pi to get back into EmulationStation. Alternatively, you can reboot it. “sudo reboot”

You would need to run this batch file in each folder you need a gamelist.xml created. It’s a little annoying, since this is used on Windows, but so much easier than making your own XML.

I hope everything works out well. And I hope this can be useful to some people.

rookervik
    Participant

TLDR (Too Long Didn’t Read) video: How-To video.

Best to keep the Readme open while you watch. I go pretty fast.

leefy
    Participant

This is great. Although i’m going from your video. Thre’s no link that i can see anywhere for the download of the .bat file.!!

It’s pretty much what I was looking for.

Upload the file again please.

rookervik
    Participant

The link is at the bottom of the post. Let me know how, and if, it works.

There it is!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.