Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I follow this (http://www.andreagrandi.it/2014/09/02/how-to-configure-edimax-ew-7811un-wifi-dongle-on-raspbian/) guide to connect my RPi1/2 to my network and it always works flawlessly.

I just installed the 3.0 beta to try on my RPi2 and now it doesn’t seem to want to get an IP address.

I get the following lines while it tries to connect to my Netgear R6100. Mind you, this hasn’t happened before.

————————————————————————-
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
    No DHCPOFFERS received
    No working leases in persistent database – sleeping
    Done.
    ————————————————————————-

The first line will repeat 4-6 times with different numbers after “interval” each time. This seems like a bit of a bug. Can anyone reproduce it?

max0r
    Participant
    # /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid "YOUR SSID"
        wpa-psk "YOUR PSK"
    iface default inet dhcp
    wireless-power off

This is all I did to configure my wifi. But i didn’t use the retropie-3.0 sd card image, I installed retropie binaries with the setup script on a fresh raspian from 2015-02-16.
    Does your wifi dongle work? Check with iwlist wlan0 scan. Have you tried using a static ip?

vincegun
    Participant

Yes, it works. It’s the same one as in the link I provided. The Edimax ew-7811un.

After the system boots it just sits there and the led blinks on and off regularly a few times, then stops, then starts again. Over and over.

I haven’t tried a static IP and I wouldn’t know how to set one on this system. I’ve only ever used the raspbian wifi scan tool or the modified /etc/network/interfaces to just automatically grab one.

max0r
    Participant

You can try a static ip with

# /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        wpa-ssid "YOUR SSID"
        wpa-psk "YOUR PSK"
    wireless-power off
    vincegun
    Participant

Thanks for that info. I have to go to work soon (damned third shift), but I’ll be trying this as soon as I’m able.

vincegun
    Participant

Finally got around to trying this. It seemed to half work. The unit took the IP that I gave it, but I couldn’t connect to it via winscp.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

did you reboot your router just to make sure ? I know it’s obvious, but worth checking at least.

DHCP does work on the latest image as I use it myself. Nothing specific to retropie has been changed in regards to dhcp from raspian. Could be some new incompatibility with latest kernel and your wireless chipset of course.

vincegun
    Participant

I’ll try that when I’m able, thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.