Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    supersirlink
    Participant

I found that I have certain ROMs that the controller will not function if I have SNESDev enabled (I also lose keyboard input, which is configured). If I stop the service I get input again via the keyboard again…

I thought I might have messed something up, so I performed a clean setup to another SD card. I put the RetroPie 1.9.1 image on and enabled SNESDev and reproduced the issue…

Anyone else seen this?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

SNESDev installs two joystick devices in Raspbian for the RetroPie GPIO Adapter. If you do not have any joysticks / game pads connected to the RPi you do not need SNESDev to run. If you only use the button of the adapter, you can configure SNESDev such that it inly polls the button and does not install joystick devices in Raspbian.

supersirlink
    Participant

Sorry, I should have explained better. I do have controllers connected to the GPIO board, NES in this case that work with Emulation Station and RetroArch. If I launch a ROM (Zelda), it works great! Now if I try to launch another (Mario Bros), I have no controls once the ROM loads.

I thought it was odd that I also lost the keyboard too. If I stop the service I still don’t have controller input (of course), but I get keyboard control again.

It seems as if ROMs like Mario Bros are not working with SNESDev. This is the only one I have found so far, going go through all the others and see if there are others.

Edit: I should also add, with SNESDev running I can use the controller to trigger the hotkey exit RetroArch combo to take me back to Emulation Station…

Is it possible that a ROM is not using the retroarch.cfg in the folder for that system? The hotkey and exit are in configs/all, the controls for the NES and SNES are in their respective folders…

Been going through testing and so far Super Mario Bros is the only NES ROM not working…

Odder still, on the SNES side Super Mario World buttons don’t work on the menu, game select, or map screen. You have to hold another button down (one of the shoulder buttons or start) then you can move/press start. BUT all the controls work fine within the level… The odd part is if I connect the NES controller, I don’t have that issue… I can push start and begin playing…

supersirlink
    Participant

Ok, think I know what the cause is now… Been playing more with the retroarch configs.

In the configs/all/retroarch.cfg I have the common inputs, hotkey, exit. In the configs/nes/retroarch.cfg I had this:

input_player1_joypad_index = 0
    input_player1_b_btn = 3
    input_player1_a_btn = 1
    input_player1_start_btn = 7
    input_player1_select_btn = 6
    input_player1_up_axis = -1
    input_player1_down_axis = +1
    input_player1_left_axis = -0
    input_player1_right_axis = +0

input_player2_joypad_index = 1
    input_player2_b_btn = 3
    input_player2_a_btn = 1
    input_player2_start_btn = 7
    input_player2_select_btn = 6
    input_player2_up_axis = -1
    input_player2_down_axis = +1
    input_player2_left_axis = -0
    input_player2_right_axis = +0

In the configs/snes/retroarch.cfg I had this:

input_player1_joypad_index = 0
    input_player1_b_btn = 1
    input_player1_a_btn = 0
    input_player1_y_btn = 3
    input_player1_x_btn = 2
    input_player1_l_btn = 4
    input_player1_r_btn = 5
    input_player1_start_btn = 7
    input_player1_select_btn = 6
    input_player1_up_axis = -1
    input_player1_down_axis = +1
    input_player1_left_axis = -0
    input_player1_right_axis = +0

input_player2_joypad_index = 1
    input_player2_b_btn = 1
    input_player2_a_btn = 0
    input_player2_y_btn = 3
    input_player2_x_btn = 2
    input_player2_l_btn = 4
    input_player2_r_btn = 5
    input_player2_start_btn = 7
    input_player2_select_btn = 6
    input_player2_up_axis = -1
    input_player2_down_axis = +1
    input_player2_left_axis = -0
    input_player2_right_axis = +0

First I remarked out all the entries in the nes/retroarch.cfg and put the inputs back in all/retroarch.cfg, and Super Mario Bros worked again! So I did the same for the snes/retroarch.cfg and Super Mario World worked! Then I put it back the way I had it, but remarked out the player2 entires and both still work… So I am thinking that it is the player2 inputs. It is odd that it only effected these two ROMs…

I think getting control back with SNESDev disabled was an indirect effect… Since they use different entires for keyboard input…

So the question now, did I format something wrong for player2?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.