Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! New user: Stable 2.6 vs. 3.0 Beta 4

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bobthebuilder321
    Participant

Hello All,

I’m very new to the RaspPi (RPi2, Buffalo controllers) and intentionally bought it for Retropie and classing gaming. I have everything setup and ran my first test of a NES ROM yesterday on version 2.6 (Retropie) on a RPi2.

Now when trying to get a MAME ROM to run, unfortunately that has not been an easy process, and so far has had no success. Tonight I need to go through the docs using clrmamepro as I saw posted out there on several wikis and see if that works.

This is where my question comes in. For a novice user like myself who only wants to run some classic games ROMs (NES, SNES, MAME) on RetroPie, should I keep with the version 2.6 stable build or is life much easier (on the MAME side) with the 3.0 BETA 4 release if it has more updated emulators?

Just thought I’d ask to see if upgrading my image would make the MAME life easier, or if the BETA is buggy and causes other complications.

Thanks for any advice,
    Bob

herbfargus

Mame will always be a headache to sort out due to the variances between versions of romsets, but retropie beta 4 does make everything Easier to configure and for the most part is pretty stable.

This page has the proper .DAT files for rebuilding ROMs with clrmamepro:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

bobthebuilder321
    Participant

Herbfargus,

Thanks for the note. So your recommendation is to go 3.0 BETA 4 and still run a ROM through the clrmamepro doc (link that you attached)?

If so, I’ll flash the SD Card tonight to 3.0 BETA 4 and try the clrmamepro process on one MAME ROM (which looks pretty involved). I would imagine the 3.0 version might have a bit more flexibility/compatibility?

Thanks.

herbfargus

Yeah I’d start with 3.0 Beta 4. If you dont like it you always go back to 2.6. If you want your ROMs to work in mame its likely you’ll need to rebuild it with clrmamepro, if you follow the video on that page its pretty simple to do. 3.0 beta 4 is just easier with initial setup as the first configuration with the gamepad in emulation station also configures your controller for retroarch among other things. You can see the changelogs here:
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Changelogs

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are there any plans to upgrade mupen64plus to 2.5?

Also I’ve been using moonlight (previously limelight) version 2.0.1. It seems to work really well (I use it for steam games and also Dolphin by adding Dolphin to Steam). Not sure what it takes to move from experimental to stable but it seems quite stable to me :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.