Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements New N64 mupen64plus graphics plugin optimised for Pis.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dankcushions
    Participant

https://github.com/tachiweasel/mupen64plus-video-videocore

Not had a chance to check this out, but sounds very promising. i know the existing semi-optimised gles2n64 plugin works great, but has limited compatibility. This seems to share the compatibility problems (at least, so far), but should be even faster. Very interesting!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there an easy way to add this plugin to the mupen64 installed with Retropie to test it out?

gizmo98
    Participant

It is a little bit faster but has more glitches as any other plugin. It has more compatibility issues as glesn64. But it dös Notaz Crash your Pi of you run Zelda games. ( But colors are wrong)

zerojay
    Participant

I’ll take a run at scripting it.

zerojay
    Participant

Gizmo, I tried building from your repo but it looks like you’ve changed things quite a bit from upstream such as the Makefile being moved and now it apparently requires the Mupen64plus api files to be somewhere? Can you give me a step by step on how to compile from your fork?

gizmo98
    Participant

I will post an experimental retropie module this weekend.

gizmo98
    Participant

@zerojay
    Try this:
    Close emulationstation with F4 and type…

mkdir test
    cd test
    git clone --depth=1 -b mupen64plus-videocore https://github.com/gizmo98/RetroPie-Setup.git
    cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh mupen64plus
    emulationstation

Limitations:
    -Only runs good if output res is Full HD
    -Kills console keyboard input. Only important if you close emulationstation or want to use launch menu.

zerojay
    Participant

I followed the above and it causes emulationstation not to launch due to not having permissions to /root/RetroPie/roms/n64. Why? Well, because of this in es_systems.cfg:

<system>
    <name>n64</name>
    <fullname>Nintendo 64</fullname>
    <path>/root/RetroPie/roms/n64</path> ************
    <extension>.z64 .n64 .v64 .Z64 .N64 .V64</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ n64 %ROM%</command>
    <platform>n64</platform>
    <theme>n64</theme>
    <directlaunch/>
    </system>

You probably want to fix that.

gizmo98
    Participant

Interesting. Please try a source based installation over retropie_setup.sh. Even though this should only happen if you run retropie_packages.sh as user root. You could also rename this line by hand:
    wrong
    <path>/root/RetroPie/roms/n64</path>
    right
    <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64</path>

zerojay
    Participant

I did edit the line to get it working. As far as I know, retropie_packages.sh is only supposed to be run as root anyways…? I know it’s definitely the case with retropie_setup.sh. Not too sure how that happened but… *shrug*

I’m reimaging my setup and I’ll take another try at it and test more than 2 or 3 games on it.

gizmo98
    Participant

Does it run?

zerojay
    Participant

It ran for me. I didn’t test it much though.

ssimplemind
    Participant

Hi guys, I also installed the video plugin as per gizmo98’s instructions and when I rebooted emulationstation it was there, so I guess everything worked in the installation.

However, when I choose videocore as the video mode, Mario Kart switches to 320×240 mode regardless of what CEA mode I choose. The speed is great, but there are also a few artefacts in the game. When choosing characters their backgrounds are not exactly right, and when playing the power-ups are very squished and also the drivers are completely black.

Is there any way to change the render resolution?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.