Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Nes and Snes ROMS running super slow, do I need to overclock the Pi?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BulletBill
    Participant

Hi! I just started on my Raspberry pi lately, and I have been having TONS of trouble with my ROMs:
    *They have been running slowly
    *They are in the correct file format (.zip) (.smc)
    I have seen some other forums, stating that overclocking is a method to make these games run faster, but I don’t know if I am ready to take risk like that.
    Is there any way I can resolve this?
    Thank you

Floob

Overclocking is pretty common, and as far as I’m aware wont invalidate your warranty

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Advanced-Configuration

evilllama
    Participant

Off the wall thought…

Do you have the ethernet cable or wifi plugged in? If so, unplug it and restart the system. For some reason, the connection to a network slows down the pi a lot.

BulletBill
    Participant

I have a good internet connection, but the thing is, I dont have a heat sink if I am going to overclock the raspberry pi. Are the temperatures safe at high overclock settings?

proxycell
    Participant

no they are not “safe”, please use heatinks
    your pi will should automatically clock itself back down when it reaches 80C or 80C or whatever the default temp limit is set to.

still not a great idea to let it reach those temps and rely upon a safety check

BulletBill
    Participant

Thanks. New update- I overclocked to 900mhz, which is pretty good for my rpi.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does that mean this is resolved?

If not, you might also take a look at your mem split setting. You can find it in /boot/config.txt. I had mine set to 256 (on a 512mb pi B) and was getting a lot of slowdown. I reduced the memsplit to 128 and the same games are completely playable.

My issues were with FBA, but the same might apply to NES and SNES? For what it’s worth, NES and SNES games seems to run fine for me at 128, with no overclock. I didn’t try them at 256.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.