Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Neither keyboard or gamepad is working – stuck at welcome screen

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ulfjonas
    Participant

Hello!

I cant get past the welcome screen in emulation station. Neither my keyboard or my gamepad is working. 1 gamepad is detected but I cant use it or configure it.

I have a Rpi Model B running the lateset Retropie, 3.2.1. A hp usb-keyboard and a SNES usb-gamepad.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

What PSU do you have ? Does it help if you have only one of the devices connected ?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

And you are definitely holding down a button on one of the devices? (obvious question, but just to check).

ulfjonas
    Participant

No, it doesn’t change anything if I just use one of them.one time I entered the config but then I couldn’t do anything. It said to press up button but I couldn’t.

One time I succesfully pressed f4 and that time the keyboard worked.

I have tried different psu’s. Two different iphone/ipad chargers and the tvs usb. Nothing changed.

Yes, I am holding down a button.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Sounds like a problem with your setup. if you press f4, and drop to a terminal (you will need to press another key) can you type on the keyboard ?

are you using any hub or anything ? Which controller are you using ? Can you confirm the controller works on another machine

petrockblog
    Keymaster

When you say you tried different chargers, did you use the same USB cable or have tried different cables?

ulfjonas
    Participant

The keyboard worked just fine the one time I entered the terminal.

No hub.

Same cable only different chargers. Do you think that the pi gets to little amps to run both the keyboard and the controll?

I’m using a cheap snes-usb-controller that is working on my computer.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Could be a power issue yep – Please try another USB power cable, combined with the ipad charger (which should be 2.1a or so).

herbfargus

I had a rubbish cable from china that gave me similar problems. Got a new one and it solved the issue. Also if you have a rainbow in the top right corner of your screen in definitely is a power issue.

ulfjonas
    Participant

Ok! I’ii try another cable and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks for the help!

ulfjonas
    Participant

I’ve tried some things today.

I found my ipad charger, 2,2A, and tried it with the old cable. Retropie starts but when emulationstation starts it directly restarts. In the start up i saw something about the usb-cable. Think it said “maybe usb cable is broken”. It had problem finding both the keyboard and the gamepad. Said something about usb failed -71 or something.

Then I tried it with the iphone charger 1A and it started correctly but I couldnt configure the gamepad.

Any thoughts?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

get a new cable, or decent 2amp psu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.