Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having some problems with N64 emulation on my raspberry pi 2.
    Its a very fresh and recent install, latest image of retropie.

When trying to use mario kart 64 the title screen is completely unreadable, the colours are all there but its all blurred together and you can’t make out anything, but if you push on through the menus, which have the same problem, and actually get to a race, it runs absolutely fine.

I’ve been trying to find a way to fix this, but haven’t come up with anything.
    the last thing i tried was switching the rom into the mupen64plus rom folder instead of the n64 folder it was in before, the problem is now that the n64 emulator won’t even show up in retropie.

Does anyone have any ideas on what i could try next? or if there’s a way to get the mupen64plus emulator to show up so i can try using that?

Thanks

taalas
    Participant

Hi,

I would suggest you update to the latest binaries first as I detailed in this thread:

The emulator-specific rom folders will be deprecated soon because it is now possible to choose the emulator used per system (and rom) for that matter. After doing a binary install (which is actually an update in your case) you could try to update the mupen64plus libretro core from source as an individual emulator from the setup script.

dappsy
    Participant

I updated the binaries and that fixed some issues I had on super Mario 64 which now worked fine but still had issues on Mario kart for some reason.
    I updated to the experimental mupen64 and its made things a lot worse, everything displays as it should but it runs at about 1-2 fps.
    Admittedly I have messed around with a lot trying to fix it, how can I uninstall the experimental package? Or do you think I should just wipe the SD and start over?

taalas
    Participant

Hi dappsy,

have you tried switching emulators when pressing “x” or “m” shortly after starting a rom?

If you do another binary install it should revert your mupen64plus to the stable version (I think). That said if you are not sure what other changes might be affecting your installation it might be best to just reflash the SD card if there are not too many changes you would like to keep.

There are some videos linked from this forum that give more info regarding N64 emulation, although I am not sure if those are completely up to date tbh.

dappsy
    Participant

Ill try flashing it again, ive mucked around with so much I probably have made it worse, ill try what you said after I’ve reflashed it later.
    Thanks

dappsy
    Participant

So i managed to sort it out!

First i updated the binaries for mupen64plus, retroarch and lr-mupen64plus. This meant that the title screen came up properly but the roms ran at <1fps.

By updating just the mupen64plus and lr-mupen64plus via source it allowed me to change the emulator being used with the N64 roms, which i couldn’t do before. So now i changed the emulator for mario kart and it works great, so i just have different n64 emulators set for different roms.

Thanks for the help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.