Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie N64 GlideN64 Aspect Ratio

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mikeveli20
    Participant

Currently trying to find the best settings for Banjo Kazooie and after trying the various gfx plugins and resolutions I’ve determined that GlideN64 at the recommended VGA resolution gives the best overall performance. However, the image stretches to fill the entire screen instead of displaying in the proper 4:3 aspect. I’ve tried the following resolutions:

CEA-1 (640×480 4:3, progressive)
    CEA-2 (720×480 4:3, progressive)
    CEA-3 (720×480 16:9, progressive)
    CEA-4 (1280×720 16:9, progressive)
    CEA-6 (720×480 4:3, interlaced)
    CEA-7 (720×480 16:9, interlaced)

All of those stretch the image and 720p is unplayable anyways since it’s super slow. If I switch to Rice I can run it more smoothly at 1280×720 with the proper aspect, but there’s frequent audio stuttering which doesn’t happen with Glide. Any way to make Glide not stretch the image? Also, does anyone know what the “framebuffer res” setting does?

dankcushions
    Participant

i think you need to be looking at the glide64.ini (or something like that) file in the /opt/retropie/configs/n64/ folder. i’m not sure of the exact setting you need, as i don’t have mine to hand, but it seems to be adjust_aspect=0.

mikeveli20
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I checked the location you specified and there was a GlideN64.custom.ini file in there. I checked the contents but everything was related to custom game settings and there was nothing about aspect. In the mupen64plus.cfg file there’s a GlideN64 section which does have an aspect property, however, it’s already set to Force 4:3 which obviously isn’t working. I tried each one of the settings (0-3) but they all produced the same result.

gizmo98
    Participant

There is no aspect ratio setting for this plugin at the moment. Corn has created an branch with an aspect ratio option. We still use GlideN64 upstream which lags this feature. The only option is to tell your TV “don’t stretch video signal”. Most TVs have options like video format=smart/wide/zoom/normal and so on.

dankcushions
    Participant

But don’t we use https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64 ? that’s what retropie references in the install scripts. in this repo it seems to indicate that there is an aspect ratio setting. eg:
    https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/551

mikeveli20
    Participant

That’s the setting I tried to change, the one Gonetz is referencing in the link. Didn’t do anything.

gizmo98
    Participant

There is an aspect ratio option. But it only works if framebuffer emulation is enabled. Raspberry PIs gles driver lags support for one necessary gles extensions for fb emulation.

dankcushions
    Participant

thanks gizmo98 – that makes sense! i wonder if there’s any documentation for what ini commands do/don’t work for the pi? i’d like to try and get glide64 to be my main plugin so it’d be cool to know what i can/can’t do with it.

corn
    Participant

As Gizmo said I made version which respect the aspect ration set in the ini file.

Attached the lib file if anyone is interested to test it
    Note that this is compiled with NEON enabled so it will only work on Pi2

The source can be found here
    https://github.com/CornN64/GLideN64
    Without the Pi2 optimizations

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.