Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie N64 Emulator Exit Command

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    oronin
    Participant

Hello All,

I am trying to setup a USB N64 controller to work with my Retropie. The issue I am running into is this:
    By default with this controller mapped properly to match the corresponding buttons the start button will cause the rom to exit back to the main menu. I am not sure if this is because the select button is not mapped as there isn’t one on the joystick or not.
    I am thinking that a good solution might be to change the exit command from the start button to a key on the keyboard like escape. As you can imagine assigning the exit key to any one button on the native joystick would be problematic. So is there a way to map a key from the keyboard and not a joystick to the exit command? If so how could I do it and which config file would I append to make this happen?

Thanks for your time :)

Pi Model: 2
    RetroPie Version Used: 3.1
    Built From: SD Image
    USB Devices connected: Keyboard, USB N64 Controller
    Controller used: USB N64
    How to replicate the problem: The Start button closes the rom, and in most cases start is highly used key on n64 roms

-Oro

Floob

Does the start button exit the game when using other emulators, or just the N64 one?

oronin
    Participant

Thanks for the response :)
    I tested the N64 controller with SNES and NES emulators, and the start button does not exit the rom. When I connect a SNES controller start+select at the same time seems to do the trick to exit SNES and NES while using emulators.
    So it would seem that the N64 configuration is currently accepting the one button as an exit command. I think I read somewhere that the N64 emulators possibly only accept one key stroke and not a combination so that could be it. I am no expert by any means and I can’t even find the source where I read that. I think they were specific about the mupin64 emulator though.

Floob

Which of the N64 emulators are you using?
    The non-retroarch version uses a single button to exit – this is shown in this vid.
    Its about 18mins in for the hotkey info.

oronin
    Participant

Excellent, this should do.
    I do have a question regarding syntax though. The video mentions that you can choose your exit button mapping by editing the file by entering J#B# at the appropriate line, but he also says you can map it to a keyboard key if you have one connected. I do have a keyboard constantly connected to the system and I think that just using that to exit would be best. what would the syntax be to tell it to reference the esc key on the keyboard for this command? Should the system be recognizing the keyboard as a “joystick” with some sort of mapping from a configuration process, or should it just read as a keyboard key? In other words, if I want esc on the keyboard to close out the rom and return to the main menu, how would you edit this:
    Joy Mapping Stop = “”

gizmo98
    Participant

The non retroarch version supports two buttons for exit now. Syntax is “J#B#/B#”.

If you are brave enough you can try this:
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/1061

herbfargus

@gizmo98

As you are most proficient with the n64 stuff, once you get the config stuff sorted would you mind updating the wiki with an example config code block? I think it would be really helpful for users. Thanks :)

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Nintendo-64

herbfargus

I tested gizmo’s script and it worked. just for reference this is the code that was added with it under the core events section in mupen64plus.cfg

# Joystick event string for stopping the emulator
    Joy Mapping Stop = "J0B7/B6"
    # Joystick event string for switching between fullscreen/windowed modes
    Joy Mapping Fullscreen = ""
    # Joystick event string for saving the emulator state
    Joy Mapping Save State = "J0B5/B6"
    # Joystick event string for loading the emulator state
    Joy Mapping Load State = "J0B4/B6"
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.