Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie N64 Controller Setup HELP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ryman222
    Participant

Trying to setup a real N64 controller using a usb adapter. These are the buttons I have mapped in my cfg file based on the N64 layout here. Problem is the analog stick doesn’t work fully, for example in Super Mario 64 mario only walks, he wont run. The L+R and Z buttons aren’t functioning properly either. And this is in all emulators.

Here my current config file:

input_device = “HuiJia USB GamePad”
    intput_driver = “udev”
    intput_b_btn = “2”
    intput_start_btn = “9”
    intput_up_btn = “12”
    intput_down_btn = “14”
    intput_left_btn = “15”
    intput_right_btn = “13”
    intput_a_btn = “1”
    intput_l2_btn = “6”
    intput_r2_btn = “7”
    intput_l_btn = “8”
    intput_l_x_plus_axis = “+0”
    intput_l_x_minus_axis = “-0”
    intput_l_y_plus_axis = “+1”
    intput_l_y_minus_axis = “-1”
    intput_r_x_plus_axis = “-5”
    intput_r_x_minus_axis = “+5”
    intput_r_y_plus_axis = “+2”
    intput_r_y_minus_axis = “-2”

If anyone has any ideas or a working setup please help me out. Thanks!

ryman222
    Participant

Anyone?

ryman222
    Participant

Bump?

MRKane
    Participant

I’ll start off by saying that I’m a bare bones beginner so may be wasting your time here – but I do know a fair bit about the N64 ;)

That said I’d guess that it might have to do with the maximum values the controller is sending through for the stick movement. Typically I don’t have access to any documentation right now as am at work, but I think there’s a min and max range value set in the config files which is a half int (32762) and changing that range could be used to tweak the sensitivity issues.

The way to figure out if this IS the problem would be to run jstest and see what kinds of numbers you’re getting out of the controller. Given the bad experiences I’ve had trying to get modern pot sticks to work in the N64 “light gate” system I’d guess the sensitivity would max out at about a third of the pot value, and it’ll also behave a little different too in terms of how quickly the numbers become large.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.